section 8 - Posted by freddie

Posted by maarifa roho on August 17, 2001 at 08:28:47:

Chris,
What part of PA are you in? I am in Philly and considering section 8.

section 8 - Posted by freddie

Posted by freddie on August 16, 2001 at 18:00:43:

Where does one go in ones city to find info on how the section 8 program works? I’m curious about it but have no clue as to the ins and outs of the program.

Re: section 8 - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on August 16, 2001 at 22:40:34:

HI I have several Section 8 rentals. Look in the phone book in the blue pages under section 8 or housing authority. There is often an office for the city and for the county. In this area, the amounts paid are much better by the county. YOu may be able to ask them what is the amount that is allotted for 2,3 or 4 bedroom certificates. This amount is used to cover the rent and utilities. Advertise your property and say Section 8 ok in the ad. Set the rent at above market value. When you get a good section 8 candidate, fill out their certificate and submit it to the housing authority. They will assess the rent and the types of utilities that are involved and they will then tell you if your rent is too high or not. If they tell you that you need to charge less, you can accept or decline to rent to this person. I feel that section 8 pays well. One tenant is in a 3 bedroom, that I bought for 30k and the rent is $675. She pays heat and electric. She(actually her boyfriend) sends me $67/mo, the HA sends $607. I was just at the house and she has it decorated nicer than my own home. I have another 3 bedroom with a finished attic (poss 4th bdr)that I paid 40k for and I get $760 and the tenant also pays electric and heat. The difference is that tenant number one has a certificate from the city housing authority and the 2nd has a certificate from the county housing authority. I have a 3rd house that I just rented to sect 8 that I paid 30k for also that I’ll be getting $740/mo.I’m happy with the program in this area of PA but not all HAs are the same. Some pay better than others depending on the demographics of the area.There are alot of people who don’t like Section 8 but if your careful and you don’t mind dealing with the people, its ok.

Re: section 8 - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on August 16, 2001 at 22:24:28:

There are several types of Sec. 8 programs at this time. For the city program check out the Metropolitan Housing Authority in your city. For the county program check out listings in your local phone book under the county in which you are interested. Here in my area the city program is administered by Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority and the county program is Hamilton County Sec. 8. Hope this helps.