Section 8....Chopping it down ? - Posted by acw

Posted by Chris in FL on August 14, 2011 at 12:37:13:

IMHO, government has built an entitlement mentality into the American people. Way too many Americans have been trained to think that if I am an American, my government/country owe me a good living. I shouldn’t have to work, or do without - after all, I am an American. I live in the richest country in the world (um, used to be). It is sad to see this mentality so prevalent, but the truth is politicians have been buying votes for so long by giving handouts, that those receiving the handouts have become dependent on them. I don’t think it can be fixed by landlords trying to clean up Section 8… You can’t unite them all to a cause that goes against their financial interests. Section 8, welfare, unemployment, etc., need to be repaired at the government level. NO more free ride. In America, the land of opportunity, you earn your way! True, there needs to be some sort of help/relief for those truly in need, but the free handout everywhere mentality needs to change. Free spending and handouts are a big part of what is bankrupting America. Problem is, it is happening with both political parties. How do you fix it? Answers that have to come from a higher power than me! LOL
I have to laugh at it, to keep from crying. At least I earn my way, and me and my family can prosper (at least so far) in spite of the mess government has made of our country’s finances.

Best wishes,
Chris in FL

Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by acw

Posted by acw on August 12, 2011 at 06:16:07:

With all this talk of budget cuts, i’ve been concerned with the future of this program that the gov spends aprox 9 billion a year. (this figure probably includes subsides to all HUD programs and NOT just section 8).

Anyone feel that Section 8 could take a hit in the near future?

Here’s an recent Article.

~AC

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by Beachbum

Posted by Beachbum on August 12, 2011 at 22:39:57:

As a Property Manager, I realize cutbacks would have
adverse effects on many in the business.

OTOH, as a Taxpayer, and knowing first hand that a
large portion of the tenants are absolutely abusing the
system, I HOPE someone with good sense DOES
“restructure” the Section 8 program. Those of us dumb
enough to work for a living are getting screwed and the
tenants laugh all the way to the Rent-A-Center, the
jewelers, the 7-11, and the auto dealers. Not to
mention their local “pharmacist”!

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on August 12, 2011 at 18:44:17:

I’ve seen section 8 operate in a downturn. They do not seem to cut the benefits but rather limit the number of vouchers they hand out. Thus section 8 tenants know they are the cream of the crop in many markets like the Newark Metro area here in NJ. They can be a bit picky. But I’m ok with it as long as you have a good work ethic (you actually have a job), keep the apartment clean and pay your portion of the rent on time.

That said, I don’t mind the relatives issue as it’s usually just a boyfriend and/or children’s Father who, at times, can bring more stability to the household.

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on August 12, 2011 at 09:43:28:

Most of my tenants are Section 8. I get rent on time every month. From a business standpoint. I really hope that it is not cut. In nyc; with the state of the economy and lack of jobs. I can not continue to hear sad “i lost my job, I have no money stories”. With Section 8 and public assistance; I can deal with the other issues of tenants as long as I get my cash. No cash AND tenant issues? AND 6+ months to do an eviction? Way too much for me. Thanks for this thread; they already stopped giving out vouchers in nyc; I am dealing with transfer sec8 tenants. And boy are they PICKY now. They want upgrades, new stuff, etc. I guess this is where we are now in the market. freebies and handouts.
DJ-nyc

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on August 12, 2011 at 07:29:38:

In my local experience, I’d love to see the gals cut who illegally take in boyfriends & relatives. Reporting to our local office does no good, as most of the case workers have family doing exactly the same thing. Looking back, my experience as a landlord w/Section 8 has not been positive. Neither have I seen that the program has actually helped many of the recipients. They are working the system.

That said, I know there are families who desperately need services, but can’t get to the top of the list because those ahead of them are diverting the resources. Rather than across the board cuts or those based on silly notions like seniority, I’d like to see all recipients subjected to rigorous regular review to ensure those who truly need the program are those who receive aid.

Tye
www.ShoeboxProject.org

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on August 13, 2011 at 08:55:50:

Then as a community, do we have a responsibility to see that young folks are taught responsible citizenship? Or do we let them grow up like Topsy, all on their own & live with the consequences?

I’ve recommended it before, but for those who didn’t see it, I think the best picture of poverty from the other side is Frank McCourt’s “Angela’s Ashes.”

I think in our biz it is all too easy to fall into a Them vs. Us mentality. We have major societal problems that require better mgt., & I’d like to die knowing I worked toward solutions.

Tye
www.ShoeboxProject.org

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on August 13, 2011 at 21:22:11:

I try to rent to couples to cutdown on the unknown people… Yes, that guaranteed goverment cheese smells good when there are millions of people with no jobs… It makes sense for me especially now, good thing there are lots of tenants here to choose from.
DJ-nyc

…True - Posted by acw

Posted by acw on August 26, 2011 at 09:34:29:

True…i see this all the time.

I think the first step will be to limit the time period someone can be on Section 8.

No more generational handouts…

I got this info from one of the advisers at Section 8.

Re: Section 8…Chopping it down ? - Posted by BenT

Posted by BenT on August 14, 2011 at 10:52:28:

I see alot of people “working the system”. I know of one family who has 3 generations all working the Sec 8 system, and also working the SS disability system as well. The teenagers leave school and go directly on to the welfare rolls, just as their parents and grandparents did before them…never hold a job.

I can see a program that provides TEMPORARY help work someone in difficult circumstances, help them get back on their feet. None of the programs I see do that at all. They are simply government transfers to those who are aware of the programs and know how to play the game.

Ben