Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by Tony Newbie

Posted by Sailor on October 22, 2008 at 06:17:37:

In my experience, all the caseworkers w/do is say there is no way I can prove the boyfiend is living there. I have nagged & documented 'til I’m blue in the face, & the truth is that they aren’t going to drop my tenant for bringing in adult males, & they aren’t going to do it for drugs, or for arrests. If she’d been convicted they might have cut off my rents & I’d be stuck trying to legally remove her belongings & placing her kids w/DSS.

I can only speak from my experiences, which overall, have been a mixed bag. Note, though, that had these tenants NOT been Section 8, I could have easily handled any of the problems I encountered. I’ll still keep trying, but I’ll be very cautious.

Tye

Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by Tony Newbie

Posted by Tony Newbie on October 20, 2008 at 15:17:50:

Hello Friends,

I need to do a background check on an section 8 tenant to rent my property. What company and would you recommend to use for the check and would you use a section 8 tenant?

Thanks for the advise.

New Landlord.

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by RJB(MA)

Posted by RJB(MA) on October 21, 2008 at 15:01:24:

I use National Tenant Network. www.ntnnet.com

RJB

Same checks as for non sec 8 tenant - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on October 21, 2008 at 13:40:33:

nt

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by James-Ct

Posted by James-Ct on October 21, 2008 at 08:58:53:

Received a response to my ad yesterday from a seasoned Sec 8 who asked me if I would consider doing Sec 8. She works part-time and is willing to move in immediately. Her boyfriend only sleeps over and has his own place.
After reading the replies to this post, I won’t be renting to any Sec 8s since I don’t have the time or energy to deal with a higher chances of problems with deadbeat tenants and government bureaucrats. There are enough other qualified tenants. So this thread has saved me time, $ and grief.
Thanks, James-Ct

Section 8 is cool - Do your HOMEWORK! - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on October 21, 2008 at 07:07:53:

In my area all tenants are lying until I prove that they are not. I use Section 8 tenants. Not easy. I simply run their credit (for behavior patterns - If they don’t pay people, they won’t pay me)
I check the building records for the previous apts that they have rented (If they gave the last landlord hell or not) check references & All of that!
In my area - Tenants are KING! More Rights than you can imagine. You MUST DO THE HOMEWORK. Once they are in your place, they are YOUR responsibility!
If they are a Bad Tenant - Section 8 workers can’t save you, Police tell you its a “civil” matter, Neighbors can’t save you, Been there- done that.
I choose to deal with it because I Don’t like the chasing of tenants for Money and in nyc - It can take 6 months+ to get them out if they are “seasoned bad tenants”. Oh, I like the ones with “new” Sec8 vouchers - not savvy enough to give you many problems.

DJ-nyc

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on October 20, 2008 at 19:09:29:

New Landlord,

Try Factualdata.com

Mark…

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on October 20, 2008 at 17:40:16:

I use , but there are a variety of other sites. Check the Archives for other recommendations. Whatever resource you use, do your own check of references & other info on your application. I research property records to verify that the person giving a glowing recommendation is really the current or former landlord. I also do a reverse phone directory search. Often I drive by the current residence, even the places where relatives or references live. I’m in a rural area w/only 12,000 residents, so I have reliable sources who know almost everyone, & I check w/them for a thumbs up or down. Some names I already recognize because I read the weekly arrest & court records. I examine the types of credit problems. I reject applicants who have a utility bill in collections, but disregard medical collections. A video store collection account is a major red flag. If I see a questionable behavior pattern I’ll require a criminal background report. Some of my colleagues require that for all applicants. A fib on the application is an automatic rejection. FICO score is the last thing I take into account.

I can approve some applicants in a matter of minutes, & I research some for 3-4 hours. I reject c. 75% of all applicants. Some I reject just by looking @ the application; if they just don’t qualify because of income, I won’t even run credit, & just refund the application fee ($20 per single; $30 per married couple). However, if I can tell there’s false information, I keep the fee.

Recently I’ve added another arrow to my quiver–MySpace. It is amazing what folks w/post online about themselves. Since I started using this resource I have located pages from almost every applicant, & some of the references & supposed landlords. An applicant swore he didn’t smoke, yet I found several photos of him, cigarette in hand. I don’t take tenants who post pics of themselves holding weapons or playing kissy-face with a pit bull. If drinking or shooting is the favorite pastime, I’ll pass.

A bad tenant can severely impact your life, your property, & your bank account. Those are good reasons to expend some effort in getting an accurate picture of what kind of people w/whom you are entrusting so much. Remember that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, so previous mistakes are likely to be repeated.

Section 8 is a mixed bag. I like the inspections because sometimes they find things I missed & need to correct. I detest working w/my local caseworkers because they are often ignorant, rude & demeaning. They are also lazy & petty.

What you have to understand is that although you can increase your potential tenant pool by offering Section 8, & though you have NO protection from a bad tenant, yet @ the same time you & your property are tied up for a year. If the tenant decides to move, she gets to move. If you want her (& illegal boyfriend) out, you have virtually no recourse, even if there is criminal activity & arrest (yes, your lease says something different, but it really doesn’t work that way.

Section 8 is a very mixed bag. I love the regular checks, but these days the checks can be as little as $100 & you still have to chase the tenant for the balance. I still offer Section 8, but I don’t rely on it, & I do a thorough background check.

I hope others tell you their experiences, so you can get a more well-rounded picture of the situation. Note that HUD varies greatly from one office to another, so I’d also check w/local landlords. Good luck & keep us posted–

Tye

Posted by Sailor on October 21, 2008 at 16:25:32:

Whether Section 8 or not, you could have the same problems we’ve described. Watch out for illegal extra tenants no matter to whom you rent. My Rental Agreement has a strict guest policy, & if they stay over the alloted time period (3 to 14 days depending on my estimate of potential problems) I get to charge $10-$25 per day per illegal occupant. I have problems getting them out, but I document & always take it out of the deposit.

I’ve heard every story there is why a Section 8 has a male living there, & no, the caseworker won’t do anything but come up w/excuses. The 2008 winning excuse thus far is “But he HAD to be there 24 hours a day because I hit my head. I can bring you a doctor’s note.”

Why do I bother making a fuss over an extra non-working male adult in a unit of mine? Well, there’s wear & tear, & other visiting non-working males congregating–but the real kicker is that if I accept his living there he becomes a LEGAL tenant in that I am responsible for his actions. If he gets injured, I can be held responsible.

Many problems can be nipped in the bud w/good screening & tenant orientation. Landlords can’t get lazy & forget to watch what is happening.

Come Jan, I’ll mark my 29th year landlording. No, it’s not that I like beating my head against the wall, or that I make tons of $$$. No matter how I carry on @ time, no matter how many stupid tenant stories I collect, I really like creating decent affordable housing in my own community. Evidently it’s addictive, as well as fulfilling.

Tye

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by Ian

Posted by Ian on October 22, 2008 at 14:27:54:

The myspace idea is great! For a landlord that isn’t up on the latest stuff, how do you do it?

Thanks.

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by KPC

Posted by KPC on October 21, 2008 at 19:06:51:

My Space is really amazing, I work in welfare and our investigator uses it all the time.

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on October 21, 2008 at 07:59:50:

I agree with most of this. Here are some specific comments.

"Section 8 is a mixed bag. "

THis is OH SO true.

“I like the inspections because sometimes they find things I missed & need to correct.”

Or things that you missed that DONT need to be fixed but you have to fix anyway. Inspectors have 100% authority; there is NO administrative appeal.

“I detest working w/my local caseworkers because they are often ignorant, rude & demeaning. They are also lazy & petty.”

THis could not be more correct.

“What you have to understand is that although you can increase your potential tenant pool by offering Section 8, & though you have NO protection from a bad tenant, yet @ the same time you & your property are tied up for a year. If the tenant decides to move, she gets to move. If you want her (& illegal boyfriend) out, you have virtually no recourse, even if there is criminal activity & arrest (yes, your lease says something different, but it really doesn’t work that way.”

Why is this? I dont know why this would be the case. I would be hounding her caseworker (yeah, the LAZY one who never wants to hear from you and will do anything to stop you from calling). The stick you DO have with Sec 8 tenants is that they will lose their benefits. Some do actually care about that.

BR,

Mark

Great Post - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on October 21, 2008 at 06:59:52:

Thanks for the “my space” tool. :slight_smile:

Re: Sec 8 Tenant background Check - Posted by James-Ct

Posted by James-Ct on October 22, 2008 at 06:41:18:

Thanks for the info Tye. I’ll avoid Sec 8 to play it safe. Craigslist is also yielding some tenant leads that give me pause. I usually have a pretty good BS detector when I actually meet them and do the credit and references checks. There are no guarantees, of course, but due diligence helps a lot.
James-Ct

Posted by Sailor on October 22, 2008 at 14:45:17:

The site is . Can’t remember if I had to register w/an e-mail address or not. Just search on the name. You’ll probably get a lot of hits, but they are easy to sort by geography &/or age.

I just lucked onto this by googling an applicant. Now I use it to check all applicants. I was surprised to discover so many middle-aged Red-Hot Redneck Mamas Lookin’ for Love, so it isn’t just a site for youngsters. I’ve been able to track the “friends” list to discover which applicant cheating on his live-in lover w/his “baby’s mama.” I’ve started using MySpace prior to ordering credit reports. I can reject a lot of applicants w/out paying for a report.

For those who haven’t used MySpace yet, here’s a link to a typical profile you might find while browsing the site:

Tye