Sec 8 buzz kill... long - Posted by CedricR.

Posted by ski on February 02, 2006 at 20:36:33:

Don’t want to start a whole lot of SH… But how do most people get into sec 8 stuff? Is it 'cause they aren’t given a chance in life? Is it 'cause the father of the kids left? Is it 'cause they have not enough education (not my fault). Is it 'cause minimum wage doesn’t cover all expenses? Is it because???

Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by CedricR.

Posted by CedricR. on February 01, 2006 at 18:41:49:

I’ll try to keep this short. Did my first deal; a rehab.
I’ve done carpentry all my life. Of course, I did too much, took too long and payed too much but made a lot of money on cash out anyway and will realize good cash flow (do better next time) and now I’ve a Sec 8 tenent. Hired a realtor to find her and write up the lease; all was well.

Here’s the problem; lease signed on Dec 3rd. 1st month was prorated, was to be included in Jan rent check. No check came. Called housing authority. Was told I didn’t sign the paperwork. Of course I didn’t, the realtor signed FOR me! “Oh, let me check… she DID sign for you.” Finally get a check Jan 26th; less than half of the amount due. Called case worker, Kim, again; “Oh,we messed up, balance will be in Feb’s check.” Called today to see if I could come by and pick up the check instead of waiting for the mail. Case worker no longer works there; nobody knows anything but the “supervisor” said all checks MUST be mailed and threatened to “remove me from the program”. Talked to tenant, she says they never gave her any info either. I’m ready to call my US Senator’s office.

Anybody got any other ideas about how to expidite matters?? (Darn! I’m leaving for New Zealand Saturday… would like to know if I should STAY in New Zealand to avoid prosecution)

CedricR. I wanted to put my post in Success Stories but I’m getting pretty #&%#$(&^%@# fed up by this point.

Re: Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on February 02, 2006 at 09:11:27:

Sadly, there isn’t probably a good answer for you. You have stumbled onto the HUGE problem with Section 8. It’s a NATIONAL program but is administered at the LOCAL level. The city offices have a lot of power to do almost anything they want. Get a good caseworker and you are golden. Get a moron and you are in %$&^.

They probably DO have to give you your money though so I would say stay persistent. They are “chartered” by the Feds so they do have certain rules they have to live by if you can find out what they are and call them on it.

Good luck,

Mark

Re: Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on February 02, 2006 at 08:03:29:

Cedric,

Matt’s right.

The worst part about Section 8 is the very beginning. Finding a good tenant, getting through the inspection, agreeing on a rent, getting into their monthly payment system. It sounds like you’re almost there.

My experience with several Section 8 tenants is that once the payments start, things run very smoothly after that. Usually, even a bureaucracy can keep doing the same thing over and over (i.e., paying you your rent). You tenant is motivated to stay with you…it’s a hassle for her too if she has to move…and, there’s often a shortage of landlords that will deal with Section 8.

Hang in there a bit longer and things should get much better.

Ron Guy

A good case in point - Posted by Bigfoot

Posted by Bigfoot on February 02, 2006 at 06:19:03:

Is your life easier by adding another layer of bureaucracy? That question answers itself. Is it worth it? That depends- for me it’s not. Just what I need is another paper pusher telling me how to go about my business. Finally Sec 8 is a discressionary program. Anytime talk of budget cuts comes up, there it is.

Re: Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by Matt (MPD) IL

Posted by Matt (MPD) IL on February 02, 2006 at 02:14:28:

Ken is somewhat right in this regard where giving the tenant notice to ‘pay or quit’. Subsidised rents or not, if rent is not paid then you can evict. If it’s troubles with Sec 8 the tenant can certainly make noise with their case worker to get it resolved before they find themselves homeless because of some paperwork fiasco.

Keep your chin up. If you’re providing good housing at affordable rates for Sec 8 tenants, good for you. I’ve been renting units to Sec 8 tenants for years and have nothing but good luck in doing so. My feeling is, once you get past this first issue, you shouldn’t have any more problems getting paid from Sec 8 on time in the future.

Matt

Re: Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on February 01, 2006 at 19:12:56:

I would give tenant an eviction notice and proceed . Let the tenant call the senator.

Re: Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by cedman

Posted by cedman on February 02, 2006 at 05:00:20:

Thanks, getting past the first issue is always the hard part eh?
:wink:

Re: Sec 8 buzz kill… long - Posted by cedman

Posted by cedman on February 02, 2006 at 04:57:07:

Evict the tenant when Sec 8 has screwed up??