Sad opportunity...any advice is appreciated. - Posted by Joe Knapp(MI)

Posted by Scott Ewing on December 24, 2001 at 07:02:33:

Joe you need to get the attitude that you ARE doing this person a favor. The cousin probably doesn’t want to deal with this either. If you have an address for the cousin, write a letter. If you have a phone number, start with 'I’m very sorry to disturb you at this time but,… If you have nothing, put a note, not a flyer, that would be too insensitive, inside the door. Be sypathetic, and hey maybe the cousin wasn’t close to her relative at all. Suck it up and go for it. Best Scott

Sad opportunity…any advice is appreciated. - Posted by Joe Knapp(MI)

Posted by Joe Knapp(MI) on December 23, 2001 at 22:25:18:

A friend of mine recently told me of a possible RE opportunity. The lady who lives across the street from his parents killed herself this past week (poor troubled soul, addict, no immediate family, 50-something).
As I understand it, this house was owned free and clear, if not close to it. It needs some work, probably mostly cosmetic. The only relative she has nearby is a cousin in Ohio.
Q: How should I approach this, if at all?
I can’t see a lot of pressure on this cousin to sell it right away, if it is free and clear. However, maybe he’ll take a lower price to avoid paying local taxes, plus the thought of trying to move a “tainted” house might not be appealing. Additionally, the idea of approaching someone in mourning for personal gain twists my stomach. Yes, it helps them, too, but eeeecchh!
Anyone have experience with this?

–Joe K (not Kaiser)

Re: Sad opportunity…any advice is appreciated. - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on December 24, 2001 at 07:19:11:

You might be able to help the family by just relieving them of the burden of bad memories. Someone is going to buy it. Just be very sensitive. Offer to buy “as-is” with all the contents, if they so desire. That might be very helpful, so they don’t have to worry about cleaning/moving things.
I bet she died without a will. What will you do about that?
Good luck.