RV vs Mobiles - Posted by SandiFL

Posted by Beach Boy on November 24, 2007 at 18:46:01:

I buy mobile homes to rent out. I purchased a MH in a great little park and have rented it out. I have become good friends with the park manager. This is what she tells me.

The owner of the park as made an decision to replace any MH that has moved out with a RV because he can not find a MH applicant that can pass a credit check. So he only rents to RV’s and does not do credit checks. Generally the RVersy are living in their RV’s and working locally for a long time. If they do not pay, he moves them into a field in the back. He has empty MH spaces that I can fill, but he is not interested.

Is this the future?

RV vs Mobiles - Posted by SandiFL

Posted by SandiFL on November 17, 2007 at 05:01:32:

Hi
I have been working with a couple that buy RV / Mobile home parks rather than just Mobile Home parks. They suggest some excellant points and I am looking for other’s perspective.

RV do not require permits,
RV do not require set up fees
RV do not have impact fees
RV rent for about the same as mobiles
RV can be replaced easier
RV can be purchased quickly

Is anyone doing RV’s?

Sandi

Re: RV vs Mobiles - Posted by Todd(AZ)

Posted by Todd(AZ) on November 17, 2007 at 17:17:07:

Hi Sandi. I’ve been contemplating the same thing lately as I’m having trouble finding a small mhp that cash flows in my price range. I’ve been doing Lonnie deals here in Arizona and feel comfortable working the family parks but there are few family parks yet many RV type and 55+ type parks. Therefore, I’m interested in pursuing these other parks but haven’t quite figured it out yet.

You mentioned some nice pluses to RV parks. In AZ, however, those RV’s disappear completely for 6 months in the summer creating an entirely different problem that a mhp does not have. I’m guessing FL is the same way? Todd (AZ)

Re: RV vs Mobiles - Posted by SandiFL

Posted by SandiFL on November 18, 2007 at 08:49:17:

Hi Todd,

What some people here are doing is buying RV and placing them in their mobile home park instead of replacing the MH with another MH. That was what I was speaking about earlier. Not, just an RV park. If I did not explaing that point, I appologize. The Rv’s can replace most MH, check with you zoning issues.

You can often pick up a new/newer RV for less than an fixed up mobile.

So, they place them in the park and rent them out or do Lonnie Deals on the RV’s.

Sandi

Re: RV vs Mobiles - Posted by Todd(AZ)

Posted by Todd(AZ) on November 18, 2007 at 12:56:40:

Ok, now I get it. Seems to me a large 5th wheel or large travel trailer MIGHT be a little “safer”, at about the same or less cost. At least this way you are not providing them a motor to drive your precious asset away. They will at least have to have their own full size truck, hitch, and if a 5th wheel, special hitch to abscond with the home. Anne is right though, might not get as good a “quality” tenant as you might like since these types homes are smaller than a mobile home. Todd(AZ)

Re: RV vs Mobiles - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 18, 2007 at 09:32:22:

Sandi,

I’ve seen parks like this in GA. Usually they are just people passing through who own their own RV and are renting the spot for the night, or a short time.

The problem with doing a Lonnie deal on them is that they can drive off in the middle of the night.

As a park owner I would also be concerned with the kind of tenant who wanted to live long-term in such a vehicle- typically only people who are really tapped out would be willing to do so- except for places where the cost of living would be very high.

When I lived in AZ I knew people who lived in the desert in RVs or even the small travel trailers. But that’s more of an Old Tucson way of life- a statement, if you will, rather than a necessity.

Personally I wouldn’t be keen to have RVs in a MH park that I owned or managed.

-Anne

Re: RV vs Mobiles - Posted by SandiFL

Posted by SandiFL on November 18, 2007 at 20:44:55:

Thanks for the feedback. I am new to looking at RV’s as a place to live rather than a travel trailer purpose. From what I have seen of the people in the park, I tend to agree that they might not have other places to go. The RV’s are rather large and some are brand new. The way they are situated on the propety makes them hard to drive away.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Sandi