Roof Sealing - Posted by Rob in Colorado

Posted by Tony Colella on September 07, 2011 at 19:12:26:

cutting the 1/2" hole in lid… Genius.

Doing what my handyman did with out the lid… well let’s just say it was LESS than Genius.

Note to self… make sure handyman uses the VARIABLE SPEED drill to mix (and now uses the lid to cover the splash potential).

Thanks!

Roof Sealing - Posted by Rob in Colorado

Posted by Rob in Colorado on September 07, 2011 at 14:56:54:

I tried to search for old posts but did not come up with anything.

I am going to be sealing a metal roof that already has some white seal on it. I probably will use Kool Seal. It states that it covers around 80 sq ft a gallon. Thus it should take at least 13 gallons of product probably a bit more since it has a push out that is at least 10 by 12 foot. The areas that have failed or has large amounts of metal showing I would do two coats on, about 1 foot by 2.5 foot, maybe 3 sections.

This is one product that I considering:
http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Seal-KST062600-20-Elastomeric-Coating/dp/B003KIC7HI

or the Henry line of product that can be found at your big box stores.

My question is, Is it worth the extra cash to go with Kool Seal or the higher grade of the Henry product or just go with the mid level product and accept the fact that it will not reflect as much heat as the more expensive product.

Thanks in advance for any responses and suggestions.

Rob

Re: Roof Sealing - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on September 07, 2011 at 15:35:48:

Rob,
I have sealed about 40 homes. Only once did I use the white elastomeric seal. It was so thin, I thought I was Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence! I use either Henry or Kool Seal’s Aluminum fiber coat. It costs about $80/5 gal. now. You will need almost 10 gal for a 14 x 70 and more for the bump-out.

You MUST stir it with a big stick for about 20 min. Or you can buy a drywall paddle, put a 1/2 inch hole in the center of the can lid, put paddle in can, put lid on tight with shaft sticking out, attach 1/2" drill, stand on lid, feel for thickness on bottom of can and pull back up a little then start stirring with drill (about 5-6 min).

Steve