Roof replacement question - Posted by Penny

Posted by steve on June 19, 2008 at 14:15:12:

I don’t see any shingle lasting 30 years in the sun in Florida. Maybe a clay tile roof.

Roof replacement question - Posted by Penny

Posted by Penny on June 18, 2008 at 07:42:12:

My mother’s house recently got hit by the storms in the midwest. Insurance adjustor has determined that the roof will need replacing due to hail damage.

Her contractor has given her a couple of replacement options for the new shingles. One is a 25 year and the other is a 30 year. The 30 year is what is being used on the new home construction in her home’s price range ( ~ $350k ish, 3500 sq ft home ). It will also look a little nicer.

Is the upgrade shingle worth the extra cost for better wear and/or resale? It’s about a $1k upgrade on an $11k job, but it would be out of pocket (it is basically her deductible) and she is retired. The 25 year can be done within the insurance reimbursements.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Roof replacement question - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on June 19, 2008 at 11:04:43:

Even if she picks the less expensive alternative, won’t she still have the same $1000 insurance deductible. If insurance will pay the full cost of both jobs anyway, except for the deductible, why not go with the higher grade shingle?

Save the money - Posted by arlan

Posted by arlan on June 19, 2008 at 07:16:32:

A 25 year shingle will last 30 years or more. Few if any people would know the difference.

Re: Roof replacement question - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on June 18, 2008 at 20:23:54:

as Gene has said it does depend on your mother’s finances and income as well as how long she want to live in that house.

for me on properties that I’m keeping I go long, I used to do 40 year shingles but now do 50 yr ones. the costs is only slightly more, the labor is the same and I always removed the old roof, have any bad wood replaced and the new shingles hten applied. The added costs is about 10% higher but for keepers, or property that I’m shortly going to sell, I use that as a sales pitch, the the new roof won’t need to be replaced for 50 yrs.

Re: Roof replacement question - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on June 18, 2008 at 09:13:54:

A couple thoughts…

If she plans on living there for many years, it might be worth it in terms of long term investment and durability.

If she is planning on reselling…here are a few questions you should consider…

1 - would a buyer notice a difference?
2 - would it return 2x the investment in resale? (would you be able to sell for 2k more than if you went with the 25yr).
3 - what is the neighborhood like…if its mostly higher end it could be good to “fit in”. If not then you could be over building for the neighborhood and you would not recoup at resale?

Also what is $1000 to her? If she has 1mill in the bank…not a big deal. If she is on a fixed income of 1200 a month…thats a bit different.