Right of refusal? - Posted by Suzanne

Posted by pag70t 7v on January 16, 2006 at 23:00:53:

hardabsinpa paid consumer surveys transfer halo user profile alexandra hunt opera pbs helen of troy george dennis mighty mouse amplifier wall mount chart holder hawaii vaccination laws christmas candy scrapbook paper activity based cost accounting system sonic the hedgehog personality quizzes bus travel daytona beach teacher appreciation idea diy drum brakes 2002 camry how to draw zelda xbox prices mickey mouse club 1992 my man spike jones vancouver dental plans gifts for 50th anniversary birth certificate identification barriers paritod surgery design own font car0548 ebaums world com bolo machetes cleaning paintball paint off wall san diego chrystal pier high school debate topics ladies leg pictures craft clock mechanism bloom grocery store cuisinart pink starry night screen savor st trinian girls az paradise realty sekirt woman fashions european stores window sash making nationalhurricanecenter com qualities for a role model longhorn pictures bull fighter costumes townsend georgia intracoastal homesites livestock blankets cabins in yosemite infinity in ceiling speaker cs60r fitness trainers charlotte nc ad free guest book laird turner pesco special odor remove odor eliminator magazines about web sites buy coney dog sauce prison security consultant central school union city tn apprentice 4 winner disguise black fur boot covers sapphic content movies adult imgboard huskavarna rifle unsc resolution 243 remington shotgun parts consumer information processing model beechwood natural parchment sage snowflake carbide insert recycling wassup superfriends edinburgh and bed and breakfast catalogs for tall ladies blond bikini models penn station subs pictures of yell practice toyota paseo photos church furniture uk age to decide on custody disney reward eddie abramson car shows in texas albrecht von beck moaa clearwater fl 500 wyoming express freedom arms basic white bread recipe cashreceivable com meeting space sc simplicity embroidery machines reynard mcmillian westvaco hunting lease 252 formula boat for sale pasco plastic surgeon neising jewlery lindesy daher esl course description odessa permian football west highland white terrier singletary schmidt family crest best mileage cars housing statistics antioch sail outboards usa mls burlington nj cheetah print girls blouse gallery of dragon tattoo

Right of refusal? - Posted by Suzanne

Posted by Suzanne on October 04, 2005 at 21:31:54:

Hello,

I have a property that I’m about to wholesale I was contacted by one investor who asked if they could have 1st right of refusal. I have looked this up and am still not clear on what exactly the benefits are of doing this?

Does this just mean they are allowed to make the 1st offer and also have the right to counter higher offers? Any info to clear this up would be appreciated thanks!

Re: Right of refusal? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on October 06, 2005 at 14:11:11:

Suzanne,

This was a good question. I’ve also seen it used in some other ways…sometimes there might be a condo complex where sellers must offer it up for sale to the other owners first. This means the other owners have the 1st right of refusal.

I’ve also seen it used where the buyer who wants the 1st right of refusal might not be ready to close. It works like this:

Mr. Seller has his home on the market. Mr. Buyer wants to buy it, but wants to sell his home first. He doesn’t have to sell his home first, but he want to so that he can get more favorable financing on Mr. Seller’s home. Mr. Seller doesn’t want to accept a home sale contingency. Mr. Seller and Mr. Buyer ratify a contract with all the usual terms with the addition of a 48 hour first right of refusal to Mr. Buyer.

This means Mr. Seller can keep marketing his house. If he gets another buyer, he must contact the original Mr. Buyer and give him 48 hours to remove his contingency.

I hope that made sense.

–Natalie

Re: Right of refusal? - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on October 05, 2005 at 19:21:01:

Basically it’s kinda sorta like a reverse option. Since that right has value, then I need to pay you for it. It should also be in writing.

Basically how it works is that I don’t make an actual offer and you are free to market as you like. When you get an offer that you want to accept, I’ve bought the right to match that offer (or refuse). If I match it, you sell to me. If I refuse, you go ahead and accept the other offer, and sell to that party. Either way, you keep my money. It’s also known as a preemptive right, meaning I get to preempt your contract.

So the next time someone says to you that they want a right of first refusal, just stick your hand right out. “OK, so what’s it worth to ya?”

There is another definition that basically says you have to hear my offer first. You don’t have to accept it though. I really don’t understand what kind of advantage that gives me. I wouldn’t pay for that.

Re: Right of refusal? - Posted by Mary in CA

Posted by Mary in CA on October 05, 2005 at 16:07:15:

Way back when I was in a real property class we discussed these as deal killers.

Would you make an offer on property if you do all the work and someone else could walk in and take the property on your negotiated terms?

They were usually used when someone gave a piece of property to someone . . . i.e.

To Lincoln School District for use as an elementary school, but should the district cease using the property as an elementary school, grantor has the right of first refusal to buy property. . .

I never heard of a third party butting in on a deal with such a request. Odd.

Mary

Re: Right of refusal? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on October 05, 2005 at 24:09:15:

You know, I’m not sure exactly what it means either. But when investor
buyers have asked me this, I have understood it to mean they want to
be called first–that they want to be able to say yeah or nay before you
ask anyone else. Oh, there’s nothing investors like better than a
committment from a new wholesaler–they just love to get to you
before anyone else does. And what’s in it for you, I’d
ask? Seriously, ask the investor what he can do for you if you give him
first right of refusal. If the investor isn’t offering you anything in return
for this right of refusal, this should be your first clue that this
investor thinks they’ll get a very good deal from you.

I wouldn’t make such a promise and don’t agree to give anyone a deal
before anyone else if they haven’t bought from me before or if I have
no business experience with. Why would I promise anything to anyone
when I have no idea if they can come through? I suggest telling the
investor that you will let them know what you have when you are ready
to offer it. And that first right of refusal comes after developing a
working relationship.

I have two buyers right now that will take anything I have at
my asking price. Both of them want to be called first. I alternate
between the two, giving them “first right of refusal,” but they never
refuse. :slight_smile: Kristine

Re: Right of refusal? - Posted by Jim V

Posted by Jim V on October 05, 2005 at 04:21:08:

Kristine,

It sounds like you are “there”.
Congratulations.
Keep in mind, markets change and if you are to remain competitive, you have to change with them.
You’ve done well.