replacing windows - Posted by rm

Posted by JohnNH on February 28, 2004 at 16:24:33:

With the new argon filled multi pane windows you can achievean R-value of R-4+ which Im sure is a heck of a lot better than the old ones. I personally have replaced these types of windows and would not consider changing window sizes due to the work involved.

replacing windows - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on February 28, 2004 at 10:02:04:

Just took over a two-unit built in 1913.

Gigantic windows on the first floor. Single pane.

Adding storms won’t cut it. They need to go- the heating cost is sky high.

Can you save money by replacing with smaller windows and matching up the existing siding?

Does the difference in window cost outweigh the additional labor?

Thanks.

Re: replacing windows - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 29, 2004 at 14:09:46:

Twenty-some years ago a woman named Mary Weir wrote a book called “How We Made a Million Dollars Rehabbing Great Old Houses.” She said that what they did was to first spackle around the sill. Then she would cut a single glass pane that would fit snugly over the original. They nailed the top sill shut, and used silicone caulk around the edges to seal the glass plates together and provide an air space. She made a silicone seal for the bottom plate by smearing silicone on the frame, covering with plastic wrap, and closing the window until it hardened. Then they painted.

What they wound up with was an inexpensive dual-pane energy efficient window.

We do this with many older windows and it works, so maybe the same added single-pane idea would work with large plate glass. I remember that Jim Piper once said that he used 20-minute mud instead of Spackle.

Re: replacing windows - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on February 29, 2004 at 08:46:46:

RM:

Several issues here.

I agree with John that you can cut down on heat loss tremendously if you get multi pane windows, and eliminate the storm windows. I replaced windows at a rental this way, and removed the the storm windows, which looked ugly and out of date.

Also, dependng on where you live, there might be zoning issues. I did a rehab in NYC where I’ve been told I need permits and approvals to change the size of the windows. I didn’t need them just replacing windows.

Also, I find people prefer large windows and sunny rooms. Its a plus for buyers and renters, at least the ones I run into around here.

Frank Chin