renting to a section 8 tenant - Posted by Brian_wa

Posted by passivewealth on November 01, 2006 at 13:44:24:

Brian

Having been a section 8 landlord in NY and now looking into section 8 in Philly, let me just chime in here.

Feel free to put whatever you want in your lease in regards to your section 8 clients. Just be prepared to have those clauses removed…lol

Perhaps section 8 works differently where you’re located but if it’s the same as NY and Philly…forget about it.

Just screen the tenant like you would any other and if your gut says this person is a fair risk then sign the section 8 contract and collect your money.

Remember as a section 8 landlord you’re basically giving up some control for secure rent payments.

Anthony

renting to a section 8 tenant - Posted by Brian_wa

Posted by Brian_wa on November 01, 2006 at 11:29:24:

I’m in the process of qualifying a section-8 tenant for one of my rentals. Her credit is questionable but then I’m looking mainly for someone who would take care of my house. The monthly rent is already being taken care of by Section-8.

I’d like to rent to this person but would like to put something in the rental agreement to give me the right to inspect the property once every month and if I don’t like the way the house looks for any reason, I could cancel the agreement and give her a 30 days notice. Is this possible?

Brian

Re: renting to a section 8 tenant - Posted by TKP, Houston

Posted by TKP, Houston on November 03, 2006 at 01:23:56:

Brian, I have the following in all my leases, many with sec. 8. The housing authorities have never objected. “TKP has the right to inspect the property - inside and outside - up to twice a month upon 3 days notice. If TKP during any of his inspections of the property finds that tenants have damaged the property either inside or outside he has the right to demand that such damage is promply repaired. If tenants fail to remedy the damage TKP has the right to terminate this Lease Agreement with 30 days notice.”
When screening a sec. 8 tenant I find that credit is not as important as criminal background. There are horror stories. I also go and inspect their present home before I approve them to get an idea of their housekeeping. TKP, Houston

Re: renting to a section 8 tenant - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on November 02, 2006 at 14:06:03:

Agree with Passive… you can use your own lease with a Sec 8 tenant, but that lease will need reviewed and approved by the Sec 8 office… and they aren’t going to allow you to just come in and inspect a unit that’s occupied once a month because you feel like it.

Secondly if you do put that clause in there, and you only put it in there and try to enforce it on Sec 8 tenants only… you set yourself up for a nice lawsuit.

Just screen the sec 8 tenants like you would a non sec 8 tenant. A good tenant is a good tenant… I’ve had great tenants that were Sec 8, and I have had complete wastes of carbon who were on Sec 8… I’ve also had great tenants that weren’t on Sec 8, and complete wastes of carbon that weren’t on Sec 8 as well.