Renting to a friend... - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on January 17, 2003 at 05:57:03:


Renting to a friend… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on January 16, 2003 at 18:09:17:

I am renting a house I own to a long time friend. We never entered into a lease but just decided to go month to month.
She has advised me that she has gotten serious with a guy and wants him to move in with her. I am exploring my options which are 1) do nothing 2) put them both on a formal lease or 3) put her on a formal lease and him uninvolved. I should mention she has had bad luck with men in the past and should she (and I) want to get rid of this guy with the least amount of aggravation what would be the way to go? If he is on a month to month I know I can give him 30 days notice to leave but what if he has no status at all? Can I just consider him a trespasser and have the police toss him out at will if he refuses to leave? Anyone else ever have this situation? Thanks.

I agree with JT… - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on January 17, 2003 at 20:49:01:

If you suspect the guy may not be around long, you don’t do anyone any favors by putting him on the lease.


I vote for Option # 3… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on January 16, 2003 at 21:33:00:


This way it is Her place of residence, and he is an invited guest. The minute that she says he is no longer welcome, she should have lots of remedy to rid herself of him.

Conversly, if he is formally on the Lease agreement, then he has rights to possess, etc… and can be removed subject to Tenants Rights… Much more restrictive arrangement.

So, for what it is worth, when a layman gives advice to an Atty, you are on your own Sir. I give a 50/50 warranty on this advice… 50 feet or 50 minutes, whichever comes first…


Re: tough one - Posted by Christen

Posted by Christen on January 16, 2003 at 20:44:19:

Well you would want to put which ever one is paying the rent on the lease, and only that person other wise if this guy on the lease and he moves out and a few months down the road you have to evict your friend, which I know sounds impossible now, but hey things could happen. You have to track down they guy and serve him with the papers too. My advice do nothing, that way if either one of you want to get rid of him it will be a simple case of restraining order and trespassing. If you don’t want him to move in at all one time I told a tennant that there were regulations about how many Sq FT per person an apartment had to have and because of the size of her unit if another person moved in my insureance would be cancelled. A little fib but hey it worked.
Hope I helped

I’d rather hear… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on January 17, 2003 at 05:59:20:

from a layman who knows what he’s talking about than an attorney who doesn’t! I think you’re right. # 3 is the way to go.