Rental Tenant Question - Posted by JL

Posted by LJ on August 20, 2001 at 21:56:00:

I’d check with your local HUD office to find out about occupancy limitations, but for the most part, if the people are taking really good care of your property, and paying the rent, I would let them be. The neighbors calling the cops should clue them in to behave.

Rental Tenant Question - Posted by JL

Posted by JL on August 20, 2001 at 21:03:53:

I have a rental tenant question. We are renting our beach house for the summer and have found out that while we rented to 3 couples, it appears (because of additional beds they brought in to the house) that more that 6 people are using it. Now we only have two weeks left in the summer rental, but I’m a little upset that our renters have done this, and I’m wondering if I can or should do anything about this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. - the neighbors told us that someone called the police on them on the 4th of July because they had too many people in the house (apparently some people were sleeping on the porch).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JL

On your next lease… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on August 21, 2001 at 10:41:12:

…you need to state exactly how many people are allowed to rent.

Right under that, I have their actual names listed.
Name (Adult)
Name (Adult)
Name (Child)
Name (Child)

You should also mention that if they wish to have guests, they’ll need written permission from you. Also state exactly HOW long you will allow a guest to sleep there (one day, two days, etc.).

Re: Rental Tenant Question - Posted by Paul_MA

Posted by Paul_MA on August 20, 2001 at 23:46:24:

JL

That is the typical senario with seasonal rentals, especially when 3 couples are paying the rent.

My guess is that their average age is 25.

You’ve got to expect the 3 couples to be using the property at different times throught the season, each inviting company over all the time. They’re on vacation! Having large parties is not unusual.

How do I know? I rented summer homes on Cape Cod with other couples. It wasn’t unusual to find bodies all over the place the next mourning. Couch, car, lounge chair, floor, bushes, etc…