Rental/Tenant abandonment question - Posted by Mike (Seattle Wa)

Posted by Mike (Seattle WA) on February 26, 2007 at 21:56:13:

Yeah, they left some junk behind, but nothing that will require the longer waiting period. Thanks for the answers all.

I went in with video camera, showed the house #, had the sunday paper with the date on it to record, and did the walk through to show damage. Luckily, they left it completely intact and it just requires some heavy cleaning and some paint. For Rent sign already back up. :slight_smile:

Rental/Tenant abandonment question - Posted by Mike (Seattle Wa)

Posted by Mike (Seattle Wa) on February 25, 2007 at 16:39:31:

So I served a 3 days to pay or quit to our tenants and they decided to quit instead of paying. They have broke lease and moved out (and are currently behind 3 weeks rent.)

So, how soon can I reclaim my property and start the judgement process? The 3 days expired yesterday…

Re: Rental/Tenant abandonment question - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on February 26, 2007 at 13:18:45:

Hi Mike: I’m in WA as well and have had too many evictions. As long as your tenants have clearly moved out you can reclaim the unit. You’ll need to go to small claims court to get a judgement. It would be a little more complicated if your tenants had left a bunch of stuff there. Then you would have to post an abandonment notice and wait the requisite time. Then you’d have to deal with the belongings according to their estimated value. That’s all covered in the LT law which you can get for free online at the State web site.

Re: Rental/Tenant abandonment question - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on February 26, 2007 at 08:53:11:

once they have moved out, its your unit again. change the locks, get is cleaned up, and get it rented up. noo need to pursue eviction/judgment against them, UNLESS these people are judgment-worthy. that means they have assets you can reach. or have good paying steady job, and your state allows garnishment. If Texas allowed wage garnishment, I would be collecting payments from 100 different prople now.

Re: Rental/Tenant abandonment question - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on February 25, 2007 at 21:52:46:

You might ask your lawyer to be sure, but if you’re sure they moved out, go on in, throw out the trash, and change the locks. Good riddance deadbeats!