Recommendation for property manager - Posted by Pete

Posted by Pete on July 05, 2001 at 15:56:46:

Phil,

I agree with you if I’m physically close to the property myself. What I failed to mention is I expect to be out of the country for a long while. So I prefer to have some professional with the right experience to take care of it for me while I’m away.

Pete

Recommendation for property manager - Posted by Pete

Posted by Pete on July 02, 2001 at 15:55:56:

I’m looking for a reliable, trustworthy and reasonably priced property manger to take care of my house as I’m thinking of renting/leasing it out. The property is in NJ. I appreciate if someone can recommend one to me. TIA.

Re: Recommendation for property manager - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on July 02, 2001 at 17:09:18:

Pete,

Do it yourself. If I’m reading your post correctly, you have a single family house that you want to rent. No matter where you are, you can do it yourself.

First establish a relationship with a local plumber, electrician, furnace guy and a handyman/ carpenter type. When you can trust these four people, you can manage a small property from anywhere.

If there is a problem the tenant calls you. Through your conversation with the tenant you determine, the best you can, what the problem is and who to call to remedy the problem. You than call that person be it a plumber or handyman to fix the problem and move on.

This is all a manager would do anyway. And he’s going to want at least 10% of the gross. Heck you can do the same thing and probably much quicker than the manager because it’s your property and you will give it top priority.

As far as showing the house, could a neighbor do it. You have the applications over to the house. The potential tenant fills out the app and Faxs it to you. You run a credit check and do your due diligence to make sure you have a good tenant.

Now if you had a 24 unit apartment complex maybe a manager would be applicable, but not a house or three.