Realtor Won't Present Multiple Offers - Posted by Dallas

Posted by Jim IL on December 22, 2000 at 22:07:40:

Dallas,
Is this agent the listing agent?
If she is, then talk to her, and tell her she must present your offer, or you’ll bring in your own buyers agent.
or
You can simply get another agent if this is not the listing agent.

And, just thought of this one.
Write an offer up, and make it have a clause that you MUST be there to present the offer to the seller.
Then when you are face to face with the seller, pull out the other two offers, and present them as well.

Then again, I did have some wine with dinner, so I may be off a bit.

Take care,
Jim IL

Realtor Won’t Present Multiple Offers - Posted by Dallas

Posted by Dallas on December 22, 2000 at 20:47:26:

I’m really new at investing, so could someone straighten me out on this please?

I was looking at a nice 3-plex today with a realtor, and I said that I would like to make an offer on it; in fact, I had three different offers in mind (different terms on each, and the seller could pick the one they liked the most). When I mentioned this, she told me that she could not present three different offers at once, that we would have to go this long process of offer and counter or reject for each one. I’m not a realtor, so I don’t know – is there any law or board of realtors regulation (in Colorado) that says she couldn’t present the three and let the seller choose which one they feel like accepting or countering?

Re: Realtor Won’t Present Multiple Offers - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on December 23, 2000 at 17:32:20:

How about putting the three choices in an addendum of ONE purchase offer with the clause that each one stands on its own? Maybe the broker thinks you have three different purchase forms and he/she is too lazy to go through each one.

Re: Realtor Won’t Present Multiple Offers - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on December 23, 2000 at 16:51:21:

While I understand what you are trying to do, I also understand the realtor’s position.

Face it. A lot of people out there are dumb. If you give them choices, they just get confused.

In your position, I would first make the offer that works best for ME. If it didn’t fly, then I would try the other two offers, sequentially.

If I didn’t care which way it went, then I would pick the offer that, in my opinion, would work best for the seller, and try it first.

Basically, I’d follow the old KISS technique (Keep It Simple Stupid, for anyone here who is from Rio Linda) :wink:

Re: Quite the contrary - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on December 23, 2000 at 10:13:19:

In my state the Broker (or the brokers agent) must present all offers, unless instructed otherwise by the seller. So give the agents Broker a call and have him instruct his agent to do her job, or you will complain very loudly to the agency that issues His, and Her license to engage in the real estate business. Then follow through with the written complaint it’s free to you.

Now all that being said I think that it is not practical to make more than one offer at a time. The seller will be confused, add this to an agent that is already confused, and a broker who is not paying attention, and you will accomplish nothing “real fast”.

Re: Realtor Won’t Present Multiple Offers - Posted by Darin

Posted by Darin on December 22, 2000 at 23:04:40:

Typical agent without a clue. OK, so what is so hard about leaving an agent three offers and making sure the seller recives them. It amazes me how realtors think sellers are such idiots. Its not hard for a seller to take some time to review three offers and pick one to which suits them.

Its best if you could go directly to the list agent. If they are in the way, you may want to call there broker, or maybe just contact the seller directly and let them know that you have a couple options to prestent them and just explain the situation.

I recently had the same thing happen. I called the list agent and made a verbal offer to her and asked the agent to give the seller a quick call to see if he would accept and I will draw up the contract immediatley. Rather than waste a bucnch of time. The agent refused and was rather rude. The listing expired 6 weeks later and I called the seller and explained the situation and he was pi&*#d.

So, sometimes agents will take things in there own hands and make judgements and decissions for sellers when they have no right to and it is frustrating.