Realtor question - Posted by Dean C.

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on July 05, 2001 at 15:45:45:

Yes, most REALTORS will want a commission any time they bring a buyer to you or help you buy a house. You may be able to negotiate the %.
Hope this helps,
Travis

Realtor question - Posted by Dean C.

Posted by Dean C. on July 05, 2001 at 15:05:56:

A Realtor showed me a couple of properties the other day that were listed by another broker. I told him that I would be selling on ILC. Of course he said he may have a buyer that would buy on ILC for both properties. I can find ILC buyers probaly by myself. Does this guy expect a commission for this? He will already get a comission if I buy. Can’t say I ever worked with Realtors before. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dean C.

Re: Realtor question - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on July 07, 2001 at 19:29:31:

Whether the Realtor gets paid or not is a moral issue on your part. You owe him nothing for a referral and if he doesn’t have a contract with you, he has no legal basis for asking for, much less demanding, a commission.

I get a dozen calls a week from Realtors who see my PACTrust ads (No Qual, No Down, No Credit app. $12,5000 moves you in). When they ask if I “cooperate,” I simply tell them, ?Sure.? I have no trouble cooperating with an agent as long as they get their commission from their client (the buyer). The interesting thing is that most of them are too dumb to figure out how to do that.

All they need to do is take the $12,500 I’m asking for and add their commission to it. The buyer would think that was great because it would be less than the down payment they’re going to have to pay anyway on another house.

Bill Gatten

Ask him if he does… - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on July 06, 2001 at 11:50:31:

he probably wants something. You need to decide if it makes sense for you, or whether you’ll go it alone.

Re: Realtor question - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on July 05, 2001 at 15:49:54:

If the agent brings you a buyer, then the agent should be entitled to a commission.

Often an agent will insist on a listing agreement (at full commission) for your property before they introduce the buyer. Sometimes, the buyer mysteriously vanishes after you have committed to a listing agreement.

I just tell agents, who claim to have a potential buyer, that the property is FSBO; but, that I would gladly pay a 3% co-op fee if their buyer purchases the property.