Really stupid question here... - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Carlene (Maine) on September 06, 2002 at 06:49:56:

Thanks for your post. The home is on her daughter’s land and my aunt wants it off. My aunt is actually in West Virginia and feels like her daughter is taking advantage of her by letting people she doesn’t know stay in the home. She wants it removed and moved to her sister’s (my mother’s land in Georgia.) (See why I didn’t want to provide all the details? It is rather messy.)
I would love to find someone who would like to buy it locally and move it to their own property.
Thanks, though, and I will check out that site you mentioned. This is all just a little too ridiculous for me to even fathom. I keep thinking about how much I could have done with the amount of money she put into this one home.
I’ll let her know how expensive and full of hassles it will be…maybe I can get her to change her mind. (No small feat in itself!)

Really stupid question here… - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Carlene (Maine) on September 05, 2002 at 21:41:28:

The story is too long to write. Details are not really necessary in this case. I just need to know a round figure to tell an elderly aunt of mine. She has a 2000 double wide 3BR/2B in Gladewater, Texas. Payoff is something like $30,000. (I did not know that she made this purchase or I would have obviously advised against it). Anyway, it is on private land. She wants to move it to Palmetto, GEORGIA. (Almost 700 miles) Insanity I know!
She wants me to tell her how much something like that would cost.

Any ideas?
Here’s an even more insane question…Anyone in or near Gladewater who might want to buy it?
Thanks,
Carlene
(I promised her I would ask)

Not so stupid question here… - Posted by Dave Starr

Posted by Dave Starr on September 05, 2002 at 22:35:49:

This is not a stupid question at all, Carlene. The biggest part that is left unanswered though is the ‘private land’ you mention. Is that your aunt’s land, or is she renting the land from someone else. A doublewide set up on its own land is substantially the same as a conventional home on its own land … in other words you aunt should be able to sell the home and land together for much more thna the approximately $30,000 she owes.

If it’s on rented land it’s still quite marketable wiht owner financing, you can find the gist of how these deals can be structured by reading the Lonnie Scruggs and Ernest Tew ‘How To’ articles right here on this web site.

The expense of moving if she still decides to do that is non-trivial, but would work out in the range of a few hundred dollars to tear down and prepare for moving, in the range of $1 to $1.50 per ‘half’ for the tow and at least two to three times the tear down costs to re-assemble and ‘set’ at the other end.

There may be more than money involved in moving, though. Suggest you research this site:

http://www.allmanufacturedhomes.com/html/wind_zone.htm

A home legal in Texas may not be allowed in Georgia. The authoritative answer would be from the building or zoning department in the county you are considering moving to. It is essential you find out if the move is legal before you can even really consider the costs.

All-in-all, moving will be very complex compared with selling where it is, but you need to add up all the pluses and minues to make the right decison.

Best Regards
Dave