Raising the rent? - Posted by Paul D. Meehan

Posted by Jim Rayner on August 30, 2000 at 22:53:12:

These are the documents we use. They are based on Massachusetts tenant landlord law. You should check your local laws many state require a notice to terminate in order to change the terms and conditions of a month to month rental agreement. Hope they help.

CONGRATULATIONS?.
MY HOW TIME FLYS

Yes, it hardly seems possible that a whole year has nearly past, but it has.

We want to thank you for being one of our VIP Residents by offering you the opportunity to Re-new your lease. In approximately 60 Days your lease will automatically expire if you choose not to renew it for another year. We hope that you will want to continue occupancy.

INSERT CHANGES TO COVENANTS AND CONDITIONS HERE

Enclosed are three very important documents required to either renew or terminate your current lease or rental agreement.
If you wish to renew your lease at the terms provided, complete the Renewal of Lease document and return it to our office by the date specified.
If you wish to terminate your lease, complete the Notice of Intent to Vacate Apartment Form and return it to our office by the specified date.
Also enclosed is the Statutory Notice to Quit, required under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 186. If you do not renew your lease and/or pay the renewal rent rate, or if you do not vacate you will have been properly notified, in accordance with the law, of the resulting actions.

Again, Thank You and we certainly hope that you choose to renew your lease

TO: ________________________________

Your lease on your unit will expire on : __________________. We hope that you will want to continue occupancy, so we request that you sign all copies of the lease renewal and return all copies to us on or before _________________. Thank You.
RENEWAL OF LEASE
THIS RENEWAL AGREEMENT dated _______________ is a rider to and forms a part of the original lease (the ?lease?) dated _______________ between _________________________________
__________________________, Lessor and ___________________________________
__________________________, Lessee(s), for the _______________________ located at ____________________________________________________________________.

The Lease is hereby extended for an additional term of ________________ months commencing on ____________________________and ending on _________________________ and the Term Rental Rate during this period shall be _______________________________________________Dollars( $ _______________) payable in monthly installments on the last day of each month in advance of __________________________Dollars ($).

ADDITIONAL DEPOSIT required is ______________________Dollars ($).

INSERT ANY OTHER CHANGES TO THE COVENENTS AND CONDITONS HERE

All other covenants and conditions of the lease shall remain in effect, and no covenant or condition of the lease shall be deemed waived by any action or non-action in the past.

Lessor: Lessee:

Dated: ________________

STATUTORY NOTICE TO QUIT
With an Offer to Renew Tenancy

TO: Tenant: _________________________________________________________

Address: ________________________________________________________

RE: Landlord:

Dear Tenant(s);

In accordance with the provisions of Chapter 186 of the Massachusetts General Laws, you are hereby notified of your landlord’s intention to terminate your tenancy without cause. Therefore, you are hereby notified to Quit and Deliver Up 0n __________________________ , the premises now held by you, namely: the premises at
__________________________________________________________________________________.
If you wish to enter into a new tenancy at will effective on ___________________ the Monthly Rent shall be $________(_____________________________________________________Dollars) and an additional last month deposit of
$
(____________________________________________________________Dollars) will be required.
INSERT ANY OTHER CHNAGES TO THE COVENANTS OR CONDITONS HERE

HEREOF FAIL NOT, OR WE SHALL TAKE DUE COURSE OF LAW TO EVICT YOU THEREFROM.

Very truly yours,

Raising the rent? - Posted by Paul D. Meehan

Posted by Paul D. Meehan on August 30, 2000 at 20:05:26:

Dear Fellow Landlords,

I have a single family home that I rent month to month to a lovely couple. It is a two bedroom @ $900.00 per month. This includes heat. Due to increased costs - property tax and oil, I want to no longer include heat. I really like these tenants(people). How can I tell them -
(a) I value their tenancy.
(b) The rent will be increased.
and (c) In a such a way that I do not sound like the cold hearted SOB my wife says I am.

I greatly appreciate your help.

• PDM

By having to pay their own utilities, the tenant begins to learn the TRUE meaning of the word ‘economize’. - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on August 31, 2000 at 08:12:04:

It is amazing how they start ‘conserving’ when they have to reach into their own back pockets to pay the bill each month.

Here is one solution: a nominal rent increase for X number of months (6? perhaps) so that they can afford the added expense of their utility bill.

Whatever you do decide to do, try to give them
at least 60 days WRITTEN notice (and mail it
CERT-Ret./Receipt so that they can’t say they didn’t receive proper notification.)

If your rent increase is nominal, they may decide that it isn’t worth the hassle of packing up and moving.

P.S.
Sometimes its tuff being a landlord but if we’re not, then we are just taking food out of our own families’ mouth in the end.