Question about poor water pressure?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Donna on September 08, 1999 at 13:11:20:

Mike, Unless the lack of pressure is caused by a build up of debris, such as mineral deposits in the faucet area, which could be cleared out by turning off the water and either loosening deposits, or if really bad replacing faucets, there is no other reliable way to correct this problem, if the old pipes are the cause. you will have to replace them. also, if the building is that old, you can bet you will have some other major issues that may come up, such as rusted sewer lines. old piping has no easy solution. if you are not prepared to deal with this, don’t do the deal. Consult a licensed plumber for a reality check on this one.

Question about poor water pressure?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on September 08, 1999 at 12:59:39:

Hi.

Does anyone have any quick fixes for a building that has poor hot water pressure. It is usable and adequate, but not where is should be. I’ve been told that it’s probably due to rust in the old pipes. If that’s the case, I suppose it would mean replacing the pipes, which is a rather expensive job. I don’t really want to get into anything like that right now. Is there any way to free up those pipes to allow better water flow through?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Re: Question about poor water pressure?? - Posted by Rich_PA

Posted by Rich_PA on September 08, 1999 at 19:55:01:

If your building has the old galvanized metal water pipes, then that is undoubtedly the problem. A 5-unit my partner and I have had 3/4" steel (galv.) pipe; when I started cutting them out, the hole inside was only 1/4". And ALL 5 unit’s water came through that one pipe! We replaced them with all PVC and CPVC plastic pipe (stupidly not legal in all areas-- where there are strong plumber’s unions…), run indivudually to each apt. At the same time we removed the one hot water heater (payed by the landlord-- us) with individual electric water heaters. Now I’ll tell you a little secret… we buy USED electric hot water heaters. People upgrade from electric to gas, and we pay $25 to $50 for the used one (not TOO old; they are dated on the model# label). In the last 6 years, not one used one has failed. However, one NEW one did (2 years old, wouldn’t give me any credit, cost me another $150 for a new one).
But we do our own work; not particularly recommended unless you have the “free” time.

Rich_PA