Question about obtaining credit for my corporation - Posted by Justin-IL

Posted by Laure on May 21, 2000 at 08:19:30:

Good question. All the credit cards I’ve looked at getting also want a personal guarantee from an officer. ie. Lowes and Menards

Laure :slight_smile:

Question about obtaining credit for my corporation - Posted by Justin-IL

Posted by Justin-IL on May 20, 2000 at 14:32:56:

OK, I’m applying for credit for my C corp. On almost all of the apps I’ve seen, they ask for the officer’s social security number. I heard somewhere that you can put your DUNS number down as the SS #, and it will work. Is this true? If not, where does the DUNS number come into play when you are trying to establish credit?

Thanks,

Justin Lee

Re: Corporation Credit Scores - Posted by Lori Samson

Posted by Lori Samson on May 22, 2000 at 02:17:13:

If you have your Corp.and have a business checking in the Corporations name the bank will start applying a score to it. Go into your bank and sit down with them and see if you can, off the record, get them to pull your Corporation credit info up. I have had that done many times to see where I am at. I have no clue how I developed a score when I had never applied for anything in the Corporation name until I went in inquiring about a refinance and when she pulled my corporation info up it already had a score. The scoring is strange and who knows how or what you do if anything to get it. It was easyier to do the refinance in the Corporations name then it was mine. You can’t make much sense out of the FICA score anyway? I have perfact credit and I have sometimes when my score dropes for no apparent reason and other times I have had it go up and I am not sure why! Go figure!

Re: Question about obtaining credit for my corporation - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on May 21, 2000 at 15:31:11:

Justin,

I talked to a friend of mine the other day about this exact situation. He has a corporation and has informed me that on his mortgages for buildings, his corp has gotten the money however, he has always had to sign personally for the money. There seems to be no way around this unless you have a very big corp.

I think that if you want credit for the corp for things like store credit and major credit cards you need to get the cards in the corp name with your personal garantee, then work up to getting the corp credit on its own.

Tim Jensen

Re: Question about obtaining credit for my corporation - Posted by Craig

Posted by Craig on May 21, 2000 at 15:23:42:

If the app is asking for your personal ssn or tax i.d. number that is what you must provide. Actually you don’t have to provide it, but if you don’t then expect to get turned down. As far as a Duns number goes it really depends on what type of credit your applying for as to whether they want it or not. Sometimes creditors will accept an Employer I.D. number or your personal ssn, but that is plainly stated on the application. If you are applying for a corporate credit card they always want a personal guarantee, and usually to lease equipment or obtain a credit line from a bank. The only time you may not be required to have a personal guarantee is with appraisal co.'s, or title co’s or certain suppliers.