Purchased Lot, Need Perc or Alt Septic - Posted by Brad

Posted by Ken on April 05, 2011 at 19:52:10:

Just do the perk test,no big deal and pretty fast and easy to do.If the lots next to you perked ok yours should be fine also assuming the soil is similar

Purchased Lot, Need Perc or Alt Septic - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on April 05, 2011 at 01:26:52:

Hello forum, I’m hoping you kind and knowledgeable folks will be able to assist me with this issue. I purchased a 1/2 acre empty lot in a really, really great location last year. I bought it for $22k cash from a developer who was going out-of-business. Comparable lots in the area (Fairfax County, Virginia) sell for $150k-$190k.

I purchased it knowing the lot did not have a current perc test and there is no water/sewer access…yet. To either side of my lot are identically sized/shaped lots that have valid percs w/ the county.

In the event my initial perc test does not succeed, I was hoping you folks would turn me on to alternative septic systems, and lend any advice you have for discovering current and future plans for county water/sewer availability to my lot.

I believe there are homes within 1/10 of a mile now that have county water. Any advice you have for helping me get this lot status changed to Buildable is appreciated.

Re: Purchased Lot, Need Perc or Alt Septic - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on April 08, 2011 at 06:21:33:

Just for the sake of being thorough, I’d get with a contractor and/or the city and put a dollar figure on pulling city water to your area and your lot.
From there in might be worth soliciting the neighborhood to see if they would be willing to share the cost.

Keith

Re: Purchased Lot, Need Perc or Alt Septic - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 06, 2011 at 08:33:36:

there are tons of alternate septic systems out there, drip irrigation, peat moss, man made wetlands, shallow placement, etc. etc. etc. And new sytems are being brought to market all the time.

The catch is that the system muct be approved for use in your state. The best place to start is your states website for the department that oversees septic systems. That can tell you what systems are approved in your state.

But there are 2 caveates:

1. Every alternate systems that I have seen cost more soemtiems signicantly more up to 2 to 3 times a regular system. And many systems require yearlt maintence and montitoring which also costs.

2. Passing the perk test may not be your only obstacle. Many states require that a well be 100 feet from any septic system, yours or your neighbors. On a half acre lot, ( a 100x200 lot is roughly a half acre)if 1 neighbor has their septic in the front and on the other side the neighbor has their septic in the rear, you could have a situation where even with a passing perk test a septic system is not permitted due to “well isolation encrochment”. In addition there could be other obstacles like driveway permits, building moratoriums, setbacks, etc, etc, etc, that could temproarily or permanently prevent your building on your lot.

David Krulac