property line - Posted by bob doty

Posted by Rich-CA on June 19, 2007 at 08:43:43:

Your last sentence is confused sounding. What does this neighbor want to do? Have you sign a document that says that the trees and flowers are on his land and that he can do as he wishes with them? Of something else.

property line - Posted by bob doty

Posted by bob doty on June 15, 2007 at 18:16:26:

29 years my wife planted trees an a flower bed on what we thought was our property. The lot next to us sold and nothing was said. it was sold again and nothing was said.
today after 29 years my neighbor wants me to sign a legal document say he can do what he wants why his property. why?

Re: property line - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 20, 2007 at 11:01:04:

Bob:

This falls under “advserse possesion”, and a knowledgeable RE attorney can tell you the laws that applies in your state.

Normally, if you used it for a certain number of years, in my state 10 years, and it was never protested, then it’s yours.

A freind had a similar situation when a neighbor had a survey pulled to install a fence, and found that he was using part of his neighbors yard. In fact, the house next to my home changed hands, and the prior owner, my neighbor, mentioned that unbeknownst to her, my property with a fence, built in 1986, encroached on her property by 10 feet. It was found out when the buyer got a survey done. Apparently, the buyer knows about it, said nothing to me, though I had several conversations with the new owner. He might have already consulted his attorney.

Don’t sign away anything till you speak to an attorney. If something like this happened to me, I’ll just scratch my head, act clueless, and just say “Let my attorney get back to you since I have no idea”, which is what I would’ve done if the guy next store bought the issue up.

Frank Chin