Power Washing - Posted by Steve Contois

Posted by Philip on December 17, 2004 at 18:09:00:

Powerwashers come in all different “working pounds of pressure”.

It is ‘volume X pressure X the size of the nozzle you are using at the time’.

You CAN strip paint with a 3,000 l.b. ‘water-blaster’…you don’t need one of those!

Many car washes range from 1,200 - 1,600 lbs.
Some of the new ‘powerwashers’ at retail stores for home use are only 700 lbs.

So, as you see, there are many choices.
For cleaning only you need around 1,500 lbs.
You also need decent volume and the ability to add detergents, bleach, etc.

What you want is NOT going to be the “super special” priced unit at WallyWorld.
What you might rent might be overkill.

Look for a light commercial or professional model around 1,500.00 lbs - 2,000.00 lbs.

You can blow yourself off a ladder with the back pressure from the 3,000.00 lb models. (Or at least I could. I weighed about 130 at the time)
You will get somewhat wet.
It WILL make the mobiles look MUCH better.
IF you use a FLARE tip it wont peel the paint unless you are waaaay to close, or the paint needs to come off anyway.

I have been out of the business too long to recommend brands. You can hire this work done pretty cheap if you find a guy with a mobile unit who needs the work…just watch him close at first. The big units will blast out windows, cut through wood, etch concrete, etc, and so forth.

Philip

Power Washing - Posted by Steve Contois

Posted by Steve Contois on December 17, 2004 at 17:28:26:

How many investors power wash the outside of their mobile homes after you buy them? Does it make a differance in the appearance or is most of the crud on the outside permanent? How much should you spend on a power washer for this type of application or are you better off renting if you only do one or two deals a month? I’m an idiot with power tools, are power washers easy to use or will a novice peel the paint off the home? Please advise.

Re: Power Washing - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on December 19, 2004 at 23:49:36:

I have a Generic power washer from Walmart. Gas engine, 1900 PSI, $179.00. Works great, I always wash before painting.

Re: Power Washing - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on December 17, 2004 at 19:14:02:

I had a vinyl sided home this summer that had dirt and mildew stains on the siding. I have a 1500 psi washer. I first sprayed a section down with siding cleaner that I got from Lowes. I then lightly scrubbed it with a brush on a telescoping pole and rinsed with the medium pressure tip. The results were amazing. The siding looked almost new and I’m sure the washing added both curb appeal and made the home sell faster.
Phillip is right about too much pressure. I’ve been able to peel paint off of farm equipment with the chisel point nozzle. If you use just enough pressure to clean the siding I’m sure you’ll be happy with the results. Good luck!

Glen (OH)