Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by ASDF

Posted by Randy (SD) on December 10, 2004 at 15:39:57:

Well it appears I may have to eat my words…(some of them anyway) after further research in the wake of 9/11 it appears ITIN (individual taxpayer identification numbers) may be more difficult to obtain. You can find more information on the subject at:

The IRS’s web site states ITIN’s are not valid for identification however it is a 9 digit number just like your Social Security number but for federal tax purposes vs. Social Security benefits. Also I thought it interesting to note the Social Security web site MAY issue a new Social Security number if you’re a victim of identity fraud. It is my personal belief if one were to apply for an ITIN and substitute that number in all matters of public record such as DMV, job applications, credit applications etc. you would thwart identity fraud.

Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by ASDF

Posted by ASDF on December 10, 2004 at 24:22:07:

I was wondering if it’s possible to change one’s
SSN number or obtain a new one if he suspects his identity has been stolen or otherwise jeopordized?

If it’s not legally possible, are there any legal ways to protect it other than the obvious methods of being careful/not giving it out and setting PIN? (In my state VA, I can’t set a pin on my ssn credit check just yet as far as i know)

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by joya shelton

Posted by joya shelton on April 12, 2006 at 11:33:51:

In 1998 I was almost killed by my X-husband. He recieved a 10 years sentence. Of recent I have discoved that he is scheduled for a release. We have three children together. I have done all I can to conceal thier identity within the school systems.
I yet do not know what I can do so that I am protected.
My X-husband is aware of my social sucurity number and I am sure that he will seek for me by this means.
Is there a way that I can recieve a new number to protect me. I am afraid for my children and I.

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by joya shelton

Posted by joya shelton on April 11, 2006 at 21:00:57:

In 1998 I was almost killed by my X-husband. He recieved a 10 years sentence. Of recent I have discoved that he is scheduled for a release. We have three children together. I have done all I can to conceal thier identity within the school systems.
I yet do not know what I can do so that I am protected.
My X-husband is aware of my social sucurity number and I am sure that he will seek for me by this means.
Is there a way that I can recieve a new number to protect me. I am afraid for my children and I.

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on December 10, 2004 at 15:43:08:

Correction… after further research, it is possible to get a new Social Security number if you’re the victim of identity fraud.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10064.html

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by Matt

Posted by Matt on December 10, 2004 at 12:39:43:

If you start a business, the business has its own tax #. It is separate from your individual #.

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on December 10, 2004 at 12:17:48:

It is not possible to change your Social Security number. I posted a comment on this previously, the answer is a taxpayer ID. You are not required to provide your Social Security number to ANYONE except Social Security!!! PERIOD -no exceptions. Not tax returns, employers, drivers license division, credit reports or credit applications etc. etc.

You can put a fraud alert on your credit report in every state including a Virginia that is federal law and there have been newly enacted laws governing the issue of identity theft (you may have heard of the new federal law that went into effect this month allowing everyone to get a free copy of their credit reports each year-presently only available in the western states, expanding nationwide in the next 12 months). I believe the web site is free credit reports.com.

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by Greg¶

Posted by Greg¶ on December 10, 2004 at 11:14:14:

I think you can if you can show that you have been the victim of identity theft. Contact the SSA.

Re: Possible to change SSN number? - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on December 10, 2004 at 14:57:56:

Say Randy, I went to renew my drivers license (California) and they said it was a federal law for terrrorism, child support payments ect. that you had to give them your SS#, and if I didnt I would not get a license. So I gave them my number but switched the last 2 numbers around, the typed it in the computer and said it was not me, so I said try this # and gave them the correct one and they said thats it.
Where can I get info on this? When I went to get a PO Box they wanted my SS # as a form of ID. thank you - Rich

Informational / Disappearing / hiding - Posted by Brian Merill

Posted by Brian Merill on December 11, 2004 at 15:27:38:

Its not a law. Don’t take legal advise from someone who is on welfare. HOWEVER! this person fully believes its a law and probably everyone else inside of the office. But, they’re not gonna budge.

Oregon is the only state that you can get a drivers license without giving out a SSN. And i hear rumor is that is gonna change pretty soon.

Now for banks. Banks REQUIRE a SSN. or so they claim. If you don’t give them your SSN they just won’t do business with you. They will claim its in the US PATRIOT act. But i’ve read the whole thing a number of times. There is nothing in there along those lines. What they do need your SSN for is for reporting the “interest earned” however. Wells Fargo is the only bank chain that i know of that still has a no-interest checking account that you can get without giving out a SSN. When they ask for the SSN say should your SSN 000-00-0000 if they ask. Tell them you were born before everyone else if they ask. Worst case. you go to the sister branch and try it again. You can however “establish credit” with a 000-00-0000 serial number for using this account for about a year and a half or so. You can get a paper saying that you’ve got credit established and blah blah blah! take the paper with you to get things that you NEED to have a social security number for and sometimes you can get them to input your new social of 000-00-0000 by showing them the paper. Scary huh?

Alot of companies(utilities) will ask for your SSN for “verification” you can just tell them. I never gave it out so you don’t have it. Most of the time that’ll shut them up. Sometimes you’ll get the mean ol’ person and you hang up and call back.

Always try to put in 000-00-0000 if you get a choice. Tell them thats seriously your number. Some will type it in others will call the police (which will do nothing because its not a crime) I could link you to some cases of the phone company charging people with giving them false information for giving them a fake SSN but that’s because they also kinda “stole and broke into” the phone system. They just tried to bring up any charges they could.

Since we’re talking about privacy. If you dial a 1-800 number and don’t want to give them your number and you’re using a landline dial 10-10-2880- then dial the number. It’ll hide your number from them getting it. Now, for caller-id/*69. Call the operator 0 and ask them to dial a number for you. If they ask why. Tell them you’re lazy or whatever. It’ll cost you about 75 cents per use.