PLEASEEEE!!!!! Possible Deal ADVISE!!!!!!!!! - Posted by HENRY

Posted by Kevin Subbert on September 26, 2002 at 23:51:49:

Steph,

What a great idea. Simple and easy, but effective. I think Ill do the same in my neck of the woods.

Thanks,
Kevin Subbert

PLEASEEEE!!! Possible Deal ADVISE!!! - Posted by HENRY

Posted by HENRY on September 26, 2002 at 16:24:33:

Hey any one out there? I may have found a great deal but im not sure yet. My situation is this: I found two vacant properties owned by a senior and a junior by the same last name. I went all over trying to find them and came up with a po box for an adress. These properties are vacant and very unkept. BUT they are PAYING THE TAXES on them still. I want to know if I should write this person a letter with an offer or what? Whats the best way to approach this. My first intuition was to take control of the property and try to sell it within 30 days or something. LIKE LEASE OPTION…ECT. PLEASE SOMEONE TALK TO ME SOON.
HENRY

Re: PLEASEEEE!!! Possible Deal ADVISE!!! - Posted by ScottGA

Posted by ScottGA on September 27, 2002 at 12:49:51:

I usually try to throw in a pic or two of the property.
I do this with a digital camera and just print out the photo and attach it to the letter. The owners usually are suprised at how bad the place has gotten and are sometimes more motivated to get rid of it rather than take the time, effort and/or money to clean it up. The digital way also allows me to utilize the vast storage cap. of my computer for record purposes.
ScottGA

Re: PLEASEEEE!!! Possible Deal ADVISE!!! - Posted by tampasteph

Posted by tampasteph on September 26, 2002 at 18:19:13:

Henry,
While I’m out looking at houses, I take a notebook with me and write down the addresses of anything that looks promising (abandoned houses, fsbo junkers, etc.). I look up the address using the prop. appraiser’s website to see where the tax bill is being sent. I then send a letter to that address explaining that I may be interested in buying the property located at 123 whatever street, and to contact me any time if interested. I also let them know I am a private investor so there will be no commissions involved. I have had two responses from these letters in the last 2 days.
Try sending them a letter and see what happens.

Just an idea.
Steph

Re: PLEASEEEE!!! Possible Deal ADVISE!!! - Posted by Fletcher (Houston)

Posted by Fletcher (Houston) on September 26, 2002 at 16:30:56:

I am just a newbie but,

Have you hassled the neighbors yet to try and find out the story behind the properties?

I really hope this turns out to be a deal for you but try not to get too emotionally attached to this type of deal. Just because a house is vacant doesn’t mean that there is a deal there.

Track down the two owners and take it from there.

Good Luck!!

Jonathan

Re: PLEASEEEE!!! Possible Deal ADVISE!!! - Posted by Justin (CO)

Posted by Justin (CO) on September 27, 2002 at 11:31:17:

I do the same as Steph above with letters to vacant houses, fsbos, empty rentals, etc. and have gotten good response. I think part of the key is to tailor letters for different situations – put yourself in their shoes and you can pretty much figure out what their motivation points might be. Also, try to look as professional as possible. I’ve gotten many comments from owners stating that they called because the letters were intelligent and well put together. I also like to hand sign and address letters/envelopes for a more personal touch. (Maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine, but I’m immediately turned off by anything I get that appears mass produced and impersonal.)

Anyway, just my 2 cents…

Justin