Pet and carpet stain update... - Posted by Mabe

Posted by vern on November 18, 2002 at 11:14:43:

Here are the best material type and weave type

Nylon
Nylon is the most popular fiber (about 90% of residential carpets and 65% of all carpets). Nylon is a good choice for all traffic areas because it is durable and static free, maintains fiber height, and resists soiling, staining, and mildew. Nylon fibers, which are dyed after production, maintain color. Some nylon carpet fades with sunlight. Nylon comes in continuous or spun fibers. Spun carpet is made of short lengths of fibers that are spun together. Thus, continuous fibers are less likely to unravel.

Level Loop Pile
Level loop pile is made by weaving even loops of yarn into carpet backing at both ends. This type of carpet is very strong and track resistance because of its strong loops. Higher loops create a more luxurious appearance. Level loop piles with short and densely packed loops are easy to clean. They prevent dirt from filtering into carpet. This type of carpet is ideal for high traffic areas.

Pet and carpet stain update… - Posted by Mabe

Posted by Mabe on November 10, 2002 at 18:45:13:

Hi All,

Thought I’d make a contribution in an area I do know something about…cat and pet stains.
Just rehabbed an executive rental house that had a great deal of pet damage including cat urine stains all the way down to the floor sheathing. Forget Fabreeze, it wears off and the renters or new owners will have a stinky house. Or, if the house is vacant and closed, it won’t show well.
Go to a pet supply store and buy “Nature’s Miracle - Just for Cats” an enzyme product. If you run into this problem a lot in your rentals or have cats of your own, buy the gallon bottle. Follow the directions and you will have excellent results. We do, however, replace pieces of porous pad that have been saturated. Just cut out the bad part and patch in the new pad, then tack the carpet back down.
Now for the carpet stains…We bought a very strong wet/dry vac and repeatedly flood stains with a spray bottle of water and alternate with carpet cleaner then immediately sucked up the liquid. I do this even if a carpet cleaning company will be doing the carpets as they don’t always spend the time to work on spots. I can get out spots that the carpet cleaner said he couldn’t get out and it’s pretty easy. Makes you wonder how much effort they put in.
At home, when you can get to the problem immediately, you get even better results. Blot the accident with paper towels till you can’t get any more, then pour a pile of baking soda on the wet spot…and I mean a pile. The moisture will be wicked up into the baking soda (give it a day) and you can lift the solidified pancake of baking soda up with a spatula. Do this again and when you’ve removed most of the baking soda, vacuum thoroughly. (This also works for food or wine or kid spills) If it was a pet urine stain, use the “Natures Miracle” after blotting and baking soda and vacuuming, then, when dry, use the wet shop vac method. I can put my nose in the carpet where my old cat has had accidents repeatedly and it is totally odorless and like new.
Another “miracle” product we’ve found is OdoBan available at Sam’s club by the gallon. It is an incredible odor remover used by smoke and mold damage mediators. I use it to final rinse everything and the rental smells incredible and most odors are really gone. At home I use it in the dogs room and as a rinse agent in my laundry.
Hope this helps someone!
Mabe

Natures Miracle - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on November 11, 2002 at 11:05:34:

Just to confirm what you said, Natures Miracle is just that, a miracle. I used it in my stinky pet stained house. And I had tried everything under the sun before finding it.

I was told that it is enzymes, which are living organisms, that “eat” odors. Once they evaporate, they take the odor with them. Let me tell you, it seems to me that is exactly how it worked. Spray it on, get out of the house for the ultra stinky evaporation process, and come back to an odor free home.

My subfloors had gotten a fair amount of urine over the years, and I was told to cover them in Kills once the nature’s miracle had dried. Just in case some urine was real deep, it could not penetrate back up. Almost three years later, and I have no problems.

One other thing about pet stains, and smells. Some animals, especially cats, will urinate behind couches, etc, near walls. There’s a distinct chance that in that situation the sheet rock (drywall) has wicked up the scent as well. Depending on the severity, it’s paint or replace time.

Re: Pet and carpet stain update… - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on November 10, 2002 at 19:24:10:

Thanks for going into detail and sharing specifics.
I’ll give it a try.
Thanks,
Travis

Re: Natures Miracle - Posted by Mabe

Posted by Mabe on November 12, 2002 at 18:19:06:

Thanks for the Kilz recommendation. Sounds like a great idea to try.

Re: Pet and carpet stain update… - Posted by vvaughan(MD/DC/VA)

Posted by vvaughan(MD/DC/VA) on November 11, 2002 at 10:17:34:

I own a Maryland based commercial and residential janitorial company called Cleancom. www.cleancomonline.com. Here are some tips

caveat: Expect for Carpet cleaning to cost you $75 to $100 per hour. With that said, sometimes those little stains may not be worth it to get totally clean. Also, if you want your carpet to look new…buy a new carpet! Be willing to live with a few imperfections.

1. If you have new carpeting put in, get Scotchguarding done. You can pay someone or you can do it yourself. Clean at least quarterly, vaccum daily if you have pets, keep clean doormats on both sides of your door.

2. Once an older carpet looks past it’s prime…consider carpet dying. You can have a whole house dyed for about $300. You can even try to do it yourself. Or you can even consider spot dyeing when you have a high traffic areas.

3. Before you attempt to scrub a stain…try to blot it with a clean dye-free cloth.

4. DONT BUY BERBER CARPETING!!! It’s hard and more expensive to clean

5)Extraction (a.k.a Steam Cleaning) is the best way to clean your carpet. Works like this…High pressure water spray loosens and suspends dirt, while a vaccum picks up the water and the dirt.

If anyone needs wholesale chemicals, spot cleaners, ScotchGuarding, Deodorizers, or cleaning services in the MD/DC/VA area…email cleancomonline@hotmail.com

What is best carpet? - Posted by Mabe

Posted by Mabe on November 13, 2002 at 11:22:46:

VVaughn,
Great hints, thanks! Can you give your professional two cents about which types of carpets seem to hold up best and are easiest to clean in apartments? I’m thinking of buying a roll of something. Also, why is Berber more expensive to clean?
Mabe