Passing the sniff test - Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy

Posted by River City on August 21, 2008 at 07:40:17:

Rick, I have noticed the same. They just don’t think we are smart enough to know that it is an obvious scheme. Maybe they are the ones that are not so smart. I believe we have enough “regulars” on this site to detect these kinds of posts. I also do not see anything wrong in someone calling a thorn a thorn when it is detected.

Passing the sniff test - Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy

Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy on August 20, 2008 at 21:03:44:

Hey folks â?? my ears are starting to prick up to what appears as a new web promo scheme.

Iâ??m noticing that people will post what appears to be a question, such as â??has anyone ever used â?¦ for such and such?â?? Then, someone else, usually another poster that Iâ??ve never seen before, will chime in and tout some goofy scheme that worked for them and that theyâ??re delighted with the results.

As a result, something just makes the flag on my BS detector meter deflect well into the red/orange. Are you noticing this, too?

My dilemma is that if I cry foul, I may be trampling on a legitimate post.

I have no intention of becoming the forum’s watchdog. But I’d sure be leary about taking the advise of some post on this site that I couldn’t get independant confirmation of their credibility.

Anyone else get these vibes? Does it matter?

I try and check them out before posting - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on August 22, 2008 at 09:34:24:

a reply. If they give a website, I go there and poke around. If it looks like advertising and the post merely says “I have heard about so and so, does anyone have experience with this?” comments and there either is a reply like you mentioned or no reply at all, I will post one of my “Advertising, please delete” responses.

Its not that I want to be a “watchdog” but I regard this forum as an educational resource which can easily be contaminated by solicitations that pose as “information”. I would not want people who come here to really learn something to get into trouble because these solicitations go unchallenged.