Park Model RV?? - Posted by Eddie-Mi

Posted by The55+GuyFromAZ on April 19, 2004 at 16:20:47:

I think we’re each referring to different animals… which goes back to the terminology problem that I mentioned in my post.

Cavco for example, builds units that resemble a down-sized manufactured (mobile) home, but bear the RPITA tag.

http://www.cavco.com/parkmodel/default.asp

I haven’t heard of any financing problems.

Park Model RV?? - Posted by Eddie-Mi

Posted by Eddie-Mi on April 18, 2004 at 18:14:58:

I can buy a 1999 mint condition Park Model RV that is 10x39. It isnt a travel trailer. The asking price is 5500. I guess they sell new for 35,000. I have a 40 foot vacant lot in a low income trailer park.

Its sitting on a lake right now hooked up with skirting. Should I just truck it in and treat it as a mobile home or is this a different animal?

Re: Park Model RV?? - Posted by The55+GuyFromAZ

Posted by The55+GuyFromAZ on April 19, 2004 at 24:22:11:

Both answers that you have received (from Doc and Bert) are essentially incorrect.

There -are- differances between a mobile home, a manufactured home and a modular home… just as there are differances between a RV, a travel trailer and a park model.

Unfortunately, there’s something of a terminology gap where these things are concerned. It’s kind of like calling a 2004 manufactured/modular, a mobile home. Since it’s not going anywhere once it’s set-up, it’s anything but mobile.

A ‘true’ park model will resemble a manufactured or modular home and have a pitched roof with vinyl/wood siding. These units -are- built to HUD code and designed to be placed on-site in a semi-permanent manner with skirting and/or foundation. They also come standard with full-sized appliances, just like a mobile home would.

They call them “park model rv’s” because they’re usually sited within rv-parks, as opposed to mobile home parks… and this is where much of the terminology confusion stems from.

If what your looking at doesn’t fit this description, it should be considered a travel trailer or a rv… but from what little description you’ve given, I’d say it’s a true park model.

They save a bundle on lynch mob costs. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on April 18, 2004 at 22:14:23:

Most states restrict motor vehicles to a maximum width of 8-81/2 ft. Yours exceeds this limit by a country mile, right?

The real idea behind such laws is to check to uncontrolled and insidious spread of ‘tent’ cities and the kind of trash they attract to become local residents. HUD codes call for much more stringent, and therefore more costly, building standards, than trailers do. So… HUD-mobiles attract the ‘right kind’ of people.

These regulations are very practical. They save a bundle on lynch mob costs.

Regards, doc

Way different animal - Posted by Bert_NH

Posted by Bert_NH on April 18, 2004 at 19:24:19:

I had to fight with my town to get them to allow me to bring an RV into my mobile home park. My town requires that all units in a mobile home park be mobile homes ie. have a HUD sticker. An RV is certified to be built to the RVIA standard which is different than HUD and must not exceed 400 sq. ft in size.
I also own a campground and the town that it is in will only allow me to bring in RV units.
Check with your zoning board and ask to see the statues about this. If your in a rural area, they just might let you but in lots of other areas the towns will fight you.
Let us know how you make out.

Bert (NH)

Re: Park Model RV?? - Posted by Bert_NH

Posted by Bert_NH on April 19, 2004 at 08:46:43:

You sure about that?
I’d like some proof.
Please see http://www.rptia.com/about.html

I think there is a lot of confusion in the definitions, but I still believe that a HUD home is a MANUFACTURED HOME, and an RV must not exceed 400 sq. ft. Also, what about financing? You cant get they same financing for each because they are different products. Bert (NH)