overcoming shyness - Posted by tony martin

Posted by DaveD (WI) on November 05, 2003 at 16:08:47:

nt (really!)

overcoming shyness - Posted by tony martin

Posted by tony martin on November 05, 2003 at 14:54:28:

I was wondering if any of you investors out there had to overcome shyness at the beginning of their real estate investing career,if so can you please share your experiences and how you overcame your shyness.You see I am somewhat shy and the thought of calling and receiving phone calls from complete strangers kind of makes my stomach turn.Any advice on how I can conquer my phone phobia will be appreciated.Thank you.

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on November 05, 2003 at 21:08:51:

I was a little scared to knock on doors. I go with a friend, that helps. I always go up to the door now with the attitude that if they’re nice, great. If they’re jerks, at least I’m not the one losing my home.

I love getting calls on the phone. You gotta know what you’re looking for when people call you. The only tough part, for me, is telling folks that the numbers aren’t good enough for me to go out and meet with them. That, and telling folks I can pay about half of what some of them expect.

I’m glad it takes a little courage to make calls and knock on doors, less competition.

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by Del-Ohio

Posted by Del-Ohio on November 05, 2003 at 17:55:42:

I made myself start up conversations with complete strangers, just to see if I could.

I volunteered to speak for groups, I wore loose pants so people couldnt see my knees shaking. I remember my stomach being in knots for an entire week before I had to speak and getting no sleep the night before.

I joined Toastmasters,it helped. I signed up for comittee positions in a local merchants group, and non profit orginizations.

I read and read and read volumes in self help, motivation, philosophy, psychology, human growth and development, took seminars and boot camps. “Feel The Fear and Do IT Anyway” was a good one.

I fire walked, I bungee jumped, I solo bicycled 400 miles, I did things intentonally that scared the crap out of me. To become comfortable and confident and overcome the “shyness”.

There is nothing like certainty and understanding of a subject to give you confidence, there is nothing like confidence to overcome shyness.

SO practice practice practice and become good. Force yourself to make 10 calls a day instead of one. If it takes 1000 contacts to overcome the fear you will overcome it in a 100 days or a little over three month vs 1000 days or over three years if you make one call a day instead of 10. So confront your fear often, learn from it and you will speed up the learning curve.

Del-Ohio

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on November 05, 2003 at 15:44:30:

Tony,

All good answers below and I commend you for your openess on the subject. Years ago I was also shy. It was the fear of rejection that perhaps made me shy. As the others said, and it’s easier said than done, confront the fear and just do it. Look at it as a challenge. Fear and shyness can be overcome. And that’s from a 25 year plus full time used to be shy creative real estate investor.

YOU CAN DO IT.

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by themoneymonster

Posted by themoneymonster on November 05, 2003 at 15:12:38:

Face everything you fear…It will allow you to grow

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by Jim (NY)

Posted by Jim (NY) on November 05, 2003 at 15:03:59:

I agree. Face your fears. I had a similar problem (I suspect that most of us did at one point or another). The best way to overcome it is to just do it. The first few will be unnerving, but after that it becomes 2nd nature. Don’t let the fear hold you back!

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by tony b columbus ohio

Posted by tony b columbus ohio on November 05, 2003 at 14:58:49:

yes. Do what you fear.

Re: overcoming shyness - Posted by Tammy

Posted by Tammy on November 06, 2003 at 09:52:15:

WOW Del-Ohio!!! Thanks so pretty anwesome stuff!!
Thanks for sharing!
Cool Moss :wink: