Option on $350K house-need advice to sell quickly - Posted by Ron-Va

You have the set up for owner financing - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 24, 2001 at 09:52:40:

There should not be a problem to get 10K down from someone that wants to own this property. You advertise as No Bank Qualifying or Owner Financing. Your problem will be at what point to you make a commitment to make the payments and/or spend the 10K to control. For now put your ad in and learn what you can about the PACtrust at landtrust.net. The next challenge will be to explain the benefits to the seller of doing it this way. You may need help with this until you learn yourself.

Re: Option on $350K house - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 23, 2001 at 23:14:04:

I always want to know their level of motivation and what their thinking is. Are they are going to list it because they know no other way? I don’t think a L/O on the disposing would bring the monthly income or the down like a sale would. If I knew how much equity they have or how much cash they have I can determine if a subject to type offer is feasable.

Re: Twilight zone? - Posted by George

Posted by George on March 25, 2001 at 13:14:18:

I am glad I am in good company…I may be heading the right way!!

Cause Problems With Loan??? - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on March 24, 2001 at 21:19:12:

John Boy,

I love these ideas, they’re terriffic! But won’t they cause a problem with the lender? Should the lender ever find out that you’ve given a buyer cash or anything else, & didn’t disclose it to the lender, couldn’t that be considered fraud? When you go to the close, one of the documents that you sign says that the whole deal is on the table. How would you set it up so that it doesn’t cause any problems with the lender?

Hope you’ve been doing well.

Vic

Re: Cause Problems With Loan??? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 24, 2001 at 21:47:45:

Vic,

I remember reading that you have been trying to get a couple of properties sold for some time now. Here’s another thought that might help.

With lots of tax refunds coming in right now…what about offering something like this as another incentive:

Buy this property using your tax refund as your down payment and I will MATCH the amount of your refund up to $2500 if you close by XX/XX/XX!

Remember, you’re not talking about creating phony seconds to forgive after closing or something…you’re just offering the buyer an incentive to buy your property!

Re: Cause Problems With Loan??? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 24, 2001 at 21:40:54:

I can’t see why this would cause a problem. If they take the cash then chances are they want the money to use as part of their down payment. There are lenders that allow a buyer to be “gifted” money to be used as a down payment.

On the other hand, WHY would any of this need to be disclosed? You’re not trying to do anything funny under the table…you’re just offering an incentive, a bonus to someone if they buy your property!

How would any of this be any different than giving a buyer cash towards carpet and appliance allowance??? I see agents offering these all the time…nothing illegal with that.

You could also offer these incentives to a realtor/broker if they bring you a full price offer! Or they could even have the option of splitting it with a buyer they find or even pass the whole thing to the buyer and settle for their commission. Lots of possibilties!

Re: Cause Problems With Loan??? - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on March 24, 2001 at 23:06:32:

John Boy,

These are all excellent ideas & I’ve even written them down in my notebook full of good tips from this site, which I keep right next to computer.

I guess the problem I’m having with this is that if you give the buyer cash, merchandise, etc, when would you do it? If you give them cash at the sale, then that would require a loan that would allow for a gift of whatever size you are giving them. What if the loan wouldn’t allow for a gift of that size?

FHA for example has specific rules about gift money i.e. it cannot come from the seller. So if you have a buyer that is buying a 100K house & they only have 1500 for a down pmt & you match it, then that causes a problem. The seller cannot give them anything towards down pmt. (yes, I know there’s other ways of structuring it, such as paying closing costs but for sake of this discussion, I’m leaving that out). Thus you would not be allowed to give them the cash.

This also applies to some conventional loans in that the lender will require the borrower to have their own 5% into the deal & many times they require that this 5% be seasoned for a period of time as well. What happens when they only have 2% seasoned. If you put up the other 3, the loan won’t fly.

In the above 2 examples if you put in the contract that seller will match buyer’s deposit or give them X amount of money, then the lender will never approve the deal.

Maybe I’m missing something or maybe I’m not fully understanding: How you can give the buyer anything of real value like this without it causing a problem with the lender?

I guess I’m just trying to figure out how you would do this. Let’s take another example: If you were to put in a contract that seller will buy buyer a car, wouldn’t you think that an underwriter would question that & think something suspicious? If you don’t put it in the contract, then how do you give it to the buyer? Do you wait til after the sale? Certainly you’re not going to buy them a car before you’ve cashed the proceeds check. If you give it to them after the sale & should the lender ever find out about it, then wouldn’t that cause a problem, especially if the lender had to foreclose?

Do you see what I’m getting at? How do you make this thing work?

I’ve also had situations sometimes when the seller says he’s going to replace carpet, etc & the underwriter comes back & says it must be done prior to close. Also, if the amount of money that the seller is giving as an allowance is too high, sometimes this causes problems as well. I guess it all depends on the loan &/or the underwriter.

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about those 2 houses that I’ve got. BTW, one should be going to close in the next 2 wks. & I think I’ve got the other one sold too (finally sheewwww!). But your idea did intrigue me though & I think it’s a very, very good one. So much so, that I very may well try to use it if I can figure out how to make it work.

Thanks for all the great, informative & very helpful posts that you consistently put up.

Vic

Re: Cause Problems With Loan??? - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on March 25, 2001 at 20:56:41:

Vic,

I think you may be right. I definitely like Brian’s idea of free pizza, WWF tickets, or the like…something that is of so little real cash value that it would be unlikely to cause a stir.

I think the totally legal way to do it would be to do as JohnBoy suggested and offer the incentives to the broker. The seller is allowed to offer the selling broker whatever kind of compensation they feel is necessary to sell the house, and with such a short timeframe to work in, very large compensation might be appropriate. The broker could pass through all or some of it to the buyer, which is legal, or they could just take it themselves.

Goodness knows, if you offered the broker $20,000 in cash I can bet you would get a full price contract same day.

NT