Notice of Default list? - Posted by new in MD

Posted by Ellie (NYC) on July 16, 2002 at 23:51:11:

I posted my reply to yours in the wrong place…sorry! Anyway, it’s there, but I replied to myself by mistake. Oops…

Thanks again,
-Ellie

Notice of Default list? - Posted by new in MD

Posted by new in MD on July 16, 2002 at 16:37:48:

how do i get a notice of default list. Is anyone from MD that might know another name for it. The lady at court office did not know what i was talking about.

Re: Notice of Default list? - Posted by Ellie (NYC)

Posted by Ellie (NYC) on July 16, 2002 at 17:58:00:

Hi. I don’t know about anywhere else – heck, I don’t even know much about here! – but in NY I do know I can go to a title co. and request that they mail me weekly or bi-weekly a list of those homes with lis pendens (don’t know how to spell it or if “with” is grammatically correct, though). I may be mistaken, but I believe that’s all the homes that have defaulted either on taxes or financing. You may have to pay, but if you can convince them that you will be using their services often in the future some co.'s will get it to you free of charge.

Please, someone who knows better, correct me if I am wrong!

Hope that helps a little.

-Ellie

Re: Notice of Default list? - Posted by michaela

Posted by michaela on July 16, 2002 at 17:18:11:

are you by chance looking for a foreclosure list? there are companies, that you can order this from on-line or you can buy the local legal paper, whatever that is in your area. you’d have to buy one for each day mon-fri to get all the notices for that month.
is that what you mean?

Re: Notice of Default list? - Posted by Ellie (NYC)

Posted by Ellie (NYC) on July 16, 2002 at 23:42:13:

Thanks Gerald. That’s one of my best friends’ names, so I trust you. :slight_smile:

So was I misinformed about the benefits of requesting a list of properties with this pending action against them? Is this a dead end or a viable source for potential motivated sellers?

You learn something new everyday! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
-Ellie

Re: Notice of Default list? - Posted by gerald-dc

Posted by gerald-dc on July 16, 2002 at 22:11:10:

Ellie:

Your spelling is correct. Your definition is a little off. Black’s Law Dictionary defines Lis pendens as: A pending suit"…Notice of lis pendens. A notice filed on public records for the purposes of warning all persons that the title to certain property is in litgation, and that they are in danger of being bound for adverse judgement. The notice is for preserving pending litigation."

Translated: Lis pendens are usally between two private parties. Usally the parties are involved in a property dispute concerning ownership or contractual rights. Delinqunt taxes and foreclosures DO NOT usally trigger a lis pendens action.

I have first hand experience in lis pendens due to a suit my lawyer filed in D.C and have reviewed the DC Statute more than I care to admit.

Be advised that not all jurisdictions recognize lis pendens and the rules vary state to state.

One man, one opinion.

Regards,

Re: Notice of Default list? - Posted by gerald-dc

Posted by gerald-dc on July 17, 2002 at 08:58:59:

I don’t think it would be a total waste of time to order such a list but I am not sure if you would get the biggest bang for buck by doing so.

I think you are own a good path. If I may, I would suggest that you purchase Joe Kaiser’s Totally Dominate Your Foreclosure MKT course. Joe talks about foreclousures as well as other avenues (lis pendens).

I have read the course several times and I am ready to start going down to the courthouses to look for deals.

Before you go out spending money on researchers, you should be clear as to exactly what you want to accomplish.

Since you have a good friend named Gerald who is presumablly both brilliant and handsome you can contact me directly at my email address if you have any questions about real estate investing.

Regards,