Note business - Tax questions - Posted by Abdenour Achab

Posted by David Butler on February 05, 2011 at 01:22:43:

Hello Abdenour,

You are welcome, such as it was. As to the your additional question here now, Bob has provided an accurate answer, and one that I did
not clarify at all in my explanation. In general, and for most note investors, the income in the scenario you describe would be capital
gains, and, if short-term (less than one-year holding period on the overall investment) would be taxed at ordinary rates, rather than
capital gains rates.

Bob also pointed out that SE tax is not generally a typical scenario for investors who are buying notes and reselling in short-term
scenarios (generally less than one-year); unless you have set your business up in a manner that facilitates “dealer” status.

There are some complexities, and intracacies in the statutes, and case law in that regard, which I’ll address in a moment.

I’m not certain that “…‘most’ investors are looking for quick payoffs…” however. A number of note investors, depending on the deal
structure in a given note transaction, and broader investment objectives, like to hold their notes for at least a couple of years, particularly
if they are oriented toward building a strong income stream. This is particularly so if the discount creates a very high yield; or a subsequent
rework of the note payment schedule accomplishes the same thing; or both - whereby high interest income is occurring in relation to erosion
of actual note principal balance.

This secondary “tweaking” is enhances the very result you are describing here in your second question with regard to the resale value of
the note. There is point, as I discussed in my “Tin Can Alley” course years ago, where many investors base their sell decision primarily on
total dollar value of income stream remaining, once they have maximized the yield return on the notes in their investment portfolio. This
“fine-tuning”, is in response to an investor’s concern of having for finding appropriate investments, the costs associated with that, and
the declining nature of the note asset base.

So, if and when an opportunity to get another note(s) which will increase the total dollar future income stream, at close to, or even
better overall yield return as well… they look to sell one or more of the notes they have maxed out, so they can get a very good resale
price, and then plow that profit back into acquiring the new note(s), and starting the process over again on the new notes added.

Outside of the SE issue, a very effective way to defer taxes on capital gains income (as opposed to interest income), whether short-term,
or long-term, is to arrange a 1031 tax-deferred exchange, depending on your liquid cash objectives. The exchange has to be like-kind
(in this case note[s] for note[s]), but can include some cash if desired (taxable) in the course of balancing equities.

Now back to the primary question of your original post, and as restated a bit differently here:

“If ordinary income, is it subject to social security taxes (like wage income),
or exempt (like interest income)?”

The Code treats investors (and traders) differently from dealers in securities. Investors and traders receive capital gain or loss treatment
on sales. (The Special Rules for Traders don’t apply for note investors generally, also explained in Publication 550).

On the other hand, dealers in securities receive ordinary gain or loss treatment on security sales, unless (under Sec. 1236(a)):

1. The security was, before the close of the day on which it was acquired, clearly identified in the dealer’s records as a security held for
    investment; and

2. The security was not, at any time after the close of that day, held by the dealer primarily for sale to customers in the ordinary course
    of his trade or business.

A dealer in securities, as a self-employed individual, is subject to SE tax. Therefore, if an individual is considered a dealer and has net gains
for a tax year, not only would these gains be taxed at ordinary rates - they would also be subject to SE tax.

Although the impact on self-employed individuals is greater (because they pay these taxes at twice the rate of employees), a self-employed
individual can deduct half of any federal self-employment taxes. More importantly, dealers in securities receive more favorable treatment
in the case of a net loss.

In addition to other considerations in your overall tax planning, this distinction, particularly over the past four or five years, where many
investors are finding themselves in the position of having to foreclose, or take over, abandoned properties - and the properties themselves
have suffered severe devaluation of collateral, bears some very detailed discussion with your tax planner.

Under Sec. 1211(b), net losses from sales or exchanges of capital assets, equipment, property, and funds owned by a business by
noncorporate taxpayers are allowed against ordinary income only up to the lower of $3,000 (generally) or the net loss. However, under
Sec. 165, a dealer can deduct all ordinary losses against ordinary income. Therefore, characterization as capital losses (as an investor),
rather than ordinary losses (as a dealer) could have severe tax consequences for net securities losses. If an individual has such net losses
and cannot establish dealer status, his deduction against ordinary income cannot exceed $3,000 a year.

But the decision is not an “elective” option, per se.

Through the years, the courts have developed a distinction between dealers and investors. A dealer is a person who purchases securities
with the expectation of realizing a profit "not because of a rise in value… but merely because they have or hope to find a market of buyers
who will purchase from them at a price in excess of their cost. This excess or mark-up represents remuneration for their labors as a middle
man bringing together buyer and seller. The determination of whether an individual has “customers” is essential in determining dealer
versus investor status. Only dealers have customers. (Steven M. Wood, 943 F2d 1048 (9th Cir. 1991)).

Dealers in securities also must maintain an inventory of securities held for resale; see Regs. Sec. 1.471-1 and Stern Bros & Co., 16 TC 295
(1951), acq., 1951-2 CB 4.

I noticed an excellent post by David Krulac last week over in the main board, that although not purely in the note context, offers some
interesting discussion and real world practical application of the complexities and intracacies related to dealer status, albeit presented
in the real estate investor context, in his reply:
“its not always easy”
http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/97029.html

So, as you can see, there is some ground to cover with your own tax counsel, in determining which approach (investor v. dealer) is the
best model for reaching your objectives, and whether or not you can structure your note investing operation to coincide with that.

Hope this helps, and very sorry for the delay. Been a very busy two weeks, and what time I had to post responses got consumed in some
important threads over on the main board.

Many Happy Returns

David P. Butler
Nascent Equity &
Hotspur Investment Group

Note business - Tax questions - Posted by Abdenour Achab

Posted by Abdenour Achab on January 16, 2011 at 07:56:18:

I plan to eventually call the IRS about the following 2
questions, but I figured some people on this forum may
already know the answers.

1. For a small time notes and tax liens investor (doing
    business in my own name), what determines whether or not I
    should report the income from the note as Schedule C income
    (i.e. active business) or interest and capital gains income
    ? Is it the number of hours spent per year on the business ?
    I read this week in a Nolo book about LLCs that whether or
    not the self employment tax is due depends in part on
    whether a member has worked 500 hours a year (or more) in
    the LLC. Is there a similar criteria for the note business ?

2. Does each year stand on its own ? Let’s say I work the
    note business for a few years as a business, then take one
    more years off the business to work on something else.
    During the time off, should I switch from reporting the note
    business income on Schedule C to report it as passive
    interest income and capital gains income ?

Abdenour

Re:Nature/Actitivies/time windows - Posted by David Butler

Posted by David Butler on January 20, 2011 at 17:56:28:

Hello Abdenour,

I have discussed that topic at some length previous in the Forum, but in searching the archives here, I have only been able to locate several much shorter responses,
that only touch on small related points. We do have more extended coverage on our 1031 Trust Exchange web site, but it is related more to the real estate investor
side of the investment equation, as opposed to the note investor side of things. That is an important distinction I need to touch upon briefly for now (but I will offer
a couple of quick free resources you can follow through with, including a very good one right here at CREOnline, in the process of answering your specific questions.

The main issue I want to be sure to address here is the nature of the investment, outside of your activities related to that investment (which I’ll briefly touch on next).
It is not clear to me in your questions here, that you are already aware of this distinction as it applies to note investment, and it is important to know.

As a real estate investor of course, you may have a number of revenue streams for earning various types of income, which often includes tax favorable capital gains
profits. In relation to that benefit, you also have some additional tax deferral methods to help avoid the affects of “tax friction” on your investment capital over the
course of time. One of these methods of course, is the installment sale method under IRC Sec. 453, whereby you can shift the receipt of your capital gains out over
time, to correspond over the percent of capital gains profit you receive annually, e.g.:

Seller Tax treatment - Each payment on an installment sale usually consists of following three parts.

a) Interest income (taxed at ordinary rate)
b) Return of adjusted basis of investment capital in property (no tax due)
c) GPP (see #5 above) of Capital Gain on sale (portion of payment taxed at lower capital gains rate)

“Selling price” ? total cost to Buyer, excluding interest.
Includes any money/FMV of any property Seller to receive and/or any debt Buyer pays,
assumes, or takes, to which property is subject.

“Contract price” ? total of principal pmts seller to receive on installment sale. Includes
pmts seller considered to receive (e.g. Debt relief)

1. Selling price
  2. Installment sale basis:
  • Adjusted basis of property
  • Selling expenses
  • Depreciation recapture
  1. Gross profit (line1 - line 2)
  2. Contract price
  3. Gross Profit Percentage (line 3/line 4)

Investing in existing promissory notes (which is a class of both “securities” and Debt Instruments) is treated somewhat differently, in that under most circumstances,
there is no capital gains treatment for such investments. Instead, you are taxed on ordinary income, generally along the following lines:

Price Paid for note + closing costs = Total purchase price (your basis in the note)

The Payments you receive consist of:

• interest income
  • return of invested capital
  • discount premium earned

Say I pay $91,000 for a note that has a remaining balance of $142,857
I pay $9,000 finder fees and related title, escrow fees
Total Investment of $100,000 is 70% Capital basis in the remaining note balance purchased
There are 301.70 monthly payments remaining
Monthly payment stream is $1,100.65, including note rate interest at 8%
Annual Total of Payments is $13,207.80

In that first year, the total payments on original note schedule are broken down as:

Interest: $11,361.85
Principal: $1,845.95

Interest: $11,361.85 (taxed as ordinary income)
Principal: $1,845.95 (see below)
70% of Principal Received: $1,292.16 (recapture of invested capital)
Discount premium earned: $553.78 (added to interest earned, and taxed as ordinary income)

I don’t recall the rule specifically, and the circumstances upon which it is used, but I seem to recollect being advised by my long time CPA a number of years ago that I
could make an election to declare the discount premium all in the year purchased, and pay tax then if I had some reason to (perhaps if I had other passive income losses
that would offset it that year?, just don’t recall at this point). If I paid this tax front end, then all the principal I received would be treated as recapture of income. Either
way, I don’t have capital gains rules applying to notes I purchase; but I do have capital gains rules applying to notes I hold on my sale of my own investment property as
a result of using the installment sale method under IRC Sec. 453.

The bulk of your questions beyond that tax treatment issue are related more to your activities, and can include the “test of hours” in relation to time spent in your
activities. In that regard, there is another distinction, though also similarities. While we have a lot of information in our above-mentioned web site in that regard,
I note that CPA and Tax Strategist Diane Kennedy has provided extensive excellent discussion on the topic. Even though it is focused on the real estate investor, a great
deal of her discussion is globally related to your note investing activities:

IRS Definitions for “Real Estate Investors”
http://www.real-estate-online.com/articles/art-246.html

The Real Estate Professional Tax Loophole
http://www.real-estate-online.com/articles/art-224.html

There are some differences in the securities industry that are somewhat analogous to the real estate discussion related to your activities as distinguished by IRS
on whether you are considered a “dealer”, or as an “investor” or “trader” in securities - and various steps you can take (just as you can in real estate, as described
by Ms. Kennedy in the above referenced links), sometimes even in the same tax year, to be treated differently on part of your investment activities).

The primary exception to both real estate investors, and securities investors, is that pure debt instrument investments such as we deal with in the private cash flow
industry do not feature as many options, due to the nature of the instruments themselves, and that fact that they are essentially a depleting asset of sorts when held
by an investor. If I had more time available to refresh myself on more detail, I would like to have done that, but I think you will find the bulk of what Diane Kennedy
has presented here to be extremely valuable for your purposes.

Hope that helps… and Many Happy Returns.

David P. Butler
Nascent Equity &
Hotspur Investment Group

Re:Nature/Actitivies/time windows - Posted by Bob Smith

Posted by Bob Smith on January 21, 2011 at 04:12:09:

I’m fairly sure that according to Publication 550, profit on a payoff of a
debt instrument purchased at a discount goes first to accrued market
discount, which is treated as interest, and second to capital gain, short-
or long-term according to your hold period. Since most note investors
are looking for quick payoffs that means all of their income is taxed at
ordinary rates, but no self-employment tax is owed since it’s all capital
gain or interest. Be aware of Obama’s upcoming investment income