Non-Renewal of Lease - Posted by Kate (VA)

Posted by JohnBoy on July 03, 2001 at 21:38:50:

I don’t know VA laws, but I’m not aware of having to give any notice to a tenant ahead of time that their lease is up. When the lease is up, it’s up! The end!

Now, the lease may require the tenant to give a 30 or 60 day notice whether they would like to renew the lease or not, at which time I would inform them that we’re not planning on renewing the lease at this time and we will only be renting on a month to month basis.

We do have to give a 30 day written notice when they are on a month to month, but not on a yearly lease. The lease already gives them notice when it expires.

Non-Renewal of Lease - Posted by Kate (VA)

Posted by Kate (VA) on July 03, 2001 at 21:20:07:

Hey everybody, I have a quick question. My tenant’s lease expires at the end of September. The lease does not automatically renew, it states that if the tenant stays past Sept. 30 it constitutes a month to month holdover. My husband and I do not want to offer him a new lease. I am trying to find out when I need to notify him that we will not be renewing his lease. I’ve looked through Virginia statutes and I can only find information on notifying weekly and monthly agreements of non-renewal. I figure I’ll need to send it out either 30 or 60 days prior to the end of the lease but I am not sure when and I don’t really want to give him much more notice than I have to. The less time he has to mess up my house the better, you know? So, is anyone here familiar with the notice requirement in VA?

Thanks a bunch,
Kate