No stairs, surprise it 's a duplex....help... - Posted by Michael

Posted by Frank Chin on July 25, 2006 at 08:46:29:

Michael:

If the tax records show that it’s a 3/2, that’s what it is, a 3/2, regardless of whether there’s one or two kithcens, with the second perhaps illegal.

I don’t know how strict zoning is, but around here, the NY Metro area, they’ve been getting strict and tough, with appraisers coming around checking the property against CO’s (certificate of occupany) with the seller required to have the property conform if it does not conform.

When I sold a multi, I lived in one of the units, and I had a laundry room built. I never submitted plans. I knew when I sold, it may count as a violation, and there’s no value attached once the they check things against the CO. I filed plans for the rehab, had the plunbing redone because the gas pipe was not of regulation size. Then I was able to sell it legally, and get paid for the improvement.

What you might have is called an “illegal conversion”, and somewhere along the line, a neighbor may have turned the owner in, resulting in the staircase being removed. No one ever checked inside on the illegal kitchen.

A number of relatives of ours bought properties with illegal kitchens already put in, where a SFH has an extra kitchen in the basement for a “live in nanny”, or for a close relative, or mom to live out her years. They removed them after renovation.

They offered even less because of the "need’ for renovation to conform.

So you might want to pay even less if that’s the case, as it’s your responsibility if you bought it, for what we call “violation removal” around here.

Good luck.

Frank Chin

No stairs, surprise it 's a duplex…help… - Posted by Michael

Posted by Michael on July 24, 2006 at 20:04:47:

Hello,

Quick synopsis: Sellers live out of town, not able to get in the house. Made offer based on the tax records stating a 3 bed, 2 bath house in a great neighborhood. Tonight they tell me that the house has no stairs. I should have figured so as the lot is zoned for multi-family. It obviously was originally a duplex. I come to discover that their Mom lived in the lower level and that the upper level has been vacant for years. Turns out it has two kitchens (didn’t show up in tax records).

I also could have noticed the floating second story door where the access used to be, but have seen that before and just assumed that it was a balcony access.

As this is a great neighborhood, I don’t think that I am at a loss (well the offer hasn’t been sent yet), but just trying to weigh my options, and looking for your input.

I based my offer on the house as a single family, 3 bed, 2 bath. But I may not be seeing the entire picture as I am unfamiliar with multi-family. I would assume that to some investors that this house is worth more as a duplex? Just looking for advice.

Adding stairs of course is an option, but to any of you that have constructed stairs - besides the space they gobble up, and the functional aspects, the costs are very high.

Thank you, Michael