Newbie in Montclair - Posted by AJ

Posted by IB (NJ) on November 13, 2003 at 22:22:28:

Yeah I read it and laughed as I read the mayor’s overblown comments about how investors are eager to buy from Irvington. The city (for the most part) is already a dump (again, except for upper Irvington). If the city owns it then that means that the only homeowners able to pay their high taxes are the rats the city can’t seem to get rid of (Irvington is infested with them, btw).

I guess I’m still hot from the call I got from a city official over some bandit signs I threw up 2 years ago (I really forgot they were there as I don’t use them anymore). This clown had the nerve to tell me (on my voice mail) that he would start having citations/tickets issued if he continued to see my signs. The a$$hole and the administration he works for still doesn’t get it. We investors are trying to bring the city back to its former glory. HE NEEDS US MORE THAN WE NEED HIM (especially with ‘investor friendly’ cities like Newark and Elizabeth close by). Yet he’s going to get on investors for trying to rehab that rundown dump of a city?

{{whew}} Thanks for letting me vent Ben :slight_smile: And thanks for the heads up on the auction. But I’ll probably skip it in favor of the possibility of witnessing an Irvington drive by shooting somewhere near the corner of 14th ave and 22nd streets.

Newbie in Montclair - Posted by AJ

Posted by AJ on November 12, 2003 at 08:39:36:

Good Monring to all,

I just started this exciting world of Real Estate investment. I located a property in Irvington NJ through a mortgage broker, the seller is selling a single family home which is rented for $1200 month the the seller wants $90K and the property is worth $165K . I am trying to buy the property for no money down I just started the Carlton Sheets program. My credit is shot. Any ideas.

About Irvington… - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on November 12, 2003 at 22:30:36:

this depends on what section you’re going to be buying in. Recently (this past summer), the state police teamed up with Irvingtom police to create a new task force to police a certain section of Irvington. This includes the sections of 20th-22nd streets, ellis avenue, 14-16th avenues. You’ll know the areas when you see them. In fact, a state trooper will probably pull you over when you venture into the area.

True story: My Brother was just over there a couple of months ago when he was pulled over by the state troopers. They wanted to make sure he wasn’t buying drugs, etc. Suddenly they threw back his credentials and jumped in the car with the sirens blaring. Turns out that a drive by shooting occurred right around the corner from the new task force’s base.There’s plenty of places to start in REI if you’re a New Jerseyan (Newark and certain parts of east orange included). But certain parts of Irvington aint it.

Now if you’re talking upper Irvington (borders Maplewood), then I’d say go for it.

I’ve been investing for 8 years… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on November 12, 2003 at 08:57:03:

have owned property in rough neighborhoods and have yet to venture into Irvington. A friend of mine was looking at a property there, merely slowed down his car to take a picture of it, and got surrounded and punched in the face for his trouble. Many inner-cities have some redeeming qualities. Irvington has none, as far I’m concerned. Unless, you’re an ex green beret, forget it.

Coincidentally… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on November 13, 2003 at 07:50:22:

today’s Star-Ledger has an article about Irvington’s upcoming tax foreclosed property auction. More info at www.Irvington.net.

Re: I’ve been investing for 8 years… - Posted by E.Eka

Posted by E.Eka on November 12, 2003 at 09:06:11:

When I read your post Ben, I just about rolled on the floor at work. Are you serious? Did your friend really get punched in the face for his troubles? That’s terrible but comical in a twisted sense. I never thought that kind of stuff still happened. It reminds me of a poor Charles Bronson film where he goes into a bad neighborhood to clean out the trash, so to speak. Hilarious.

TO the Newbie, before you jump head first into this deal find out why that homeowner will ONLY take 95K oppose to the $165K. That will be the first step in telling you whether it’s a good deal or not.