New photos of flexitec - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Glen (OH) on January 13, 2007 at 12:38:11:

In the past when dealing with a cabinet door(s) issue I have done the following:

If the vinyl applique is comming off, I go ahead and remove it on all of the doors. I then go to the local Porter Paint store with a sample of the wood grain I removed. They have a salesman who is very creative. He then suggests a solid color that would accent the rest of the cabinetry and I then prime and paint all of the doors that color. I have even gone as far as painting all of the cabinets. Porter has a semi-gloss acrylic paint that really stands up to wear.

Other times I have gone to a custom cabinet shop near me. They always have mix and match doors for $5 a piece. I have always been able to get close matches this way.

I also think you can order cabinet doors from Lowes.

Glen (OH)

New photos of flexitec - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on January 12, 2007 at 20:06:43:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gotc

first album is New DW for sale - 4 pics there, more to come. MH will be completed tomorrow: woodstove pipe, cleanup, cabinet door, etc etc etc.

We used a partial gluedown installation on this one - glue at the seams, at the walls, and traffic areas. That seems to provide the best results of adhesion. This LR floor was a bit rough; it had tiles glued down, and we just scraped - no sanding, no luan, no nothin. Scraped it smooth, laid the flexitec down. At the areas of the glue on the front room seam, there are some “cellulite”-looking patches that I blame on the poor floor surface, visible if you really focus, but overall, nice installation

Will put up multiple completion pics when I get there.

This house is a milestone too; I used the nearly the last of the 350 yards of flexitec on this one (small 2/1 gets the REAL last of the tile pattern in the kitchen/hall/bath this weekend). I need to order more next week; without sitting down and counting it out, my rough guesstimate is that the original investment of $1300 provided floor coverings for about 10 houses.

Re: New photos of flexitec - Posted by Lazaro - NC

Posted by Lazaro - NC on January 13, 2007 at 20:10:30:

I don?t know if this material is the same I used on one of my rental houses. It does not need glue, it only needs a spatial double side tape you use by seems, and wherever there is going to be heavy furniture, like heavy couches, or refrigerators. I bought it at Lowes and it was a little more expensive than the regular vinyl floor. It is easier to work with because it is softer and more flexible, and of course you don?t have to mess around with gluing the floors. However, if you slide, or move heavy furniture, it will lift up the flooring and it may even cut through it. My previous tenants left makings and cuts on the floor were the washer and drier once were. I am not sure I would use it again.

Thanks,
Lazaro

Re: New photos of flexitec - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on January 13, 2007 at 08:48:33:

Hi Steve!

Photos look great. Especially liked seeing how the white chaulk can be used at edges in kitchen.

You referred to using adhesive. what specific type of adhesive? Vinyl flooring adhesive, or something else? Thanks!

Re: New photos of flexitec - Posted by SJO

Posted by SJO on January 12, 2007 at 23:00:23:

When you say, in the picture of the kitchen…

“Still a cab door to fabricate”

How do you fabricate a door to match the existing cabinets? I have 2 cab doors under the sink that show water damage, and was wondering what to do.

Re: New photos of flexitec - Posted by clare

Posted by clare on January 13, 2007 at 13:15:48:

I have installed some of this in 2 of my rentals and it seems that there is a problem with it “puffing” up in places, almost like it has a air pocket underneath. We put shoe mold around the edges and did not use any adhesive. Could it possibly be an installation screw up or is there some easy fix for this?

regular vinyl adhesive - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on January 13, 2007 at 10:10:34:

just like the video shows; archive search “marius”

fabricating cabinets - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on January 13, 2007 at 10:11:48:

i hire my guy to use a router - he loves that stuff

I’ll bet you could use Doc’s trick… - Posted by JeredWA

Posted by JeredWA on January 13, 2007 at 21:05:41:

Use a syringe to “inject” some glue under the flexitec in the areas where it is puffing up. Place something heavy on it for a few hours and I’ll bet it cures the problem (for that spot).

Works with carpet too…

Jered

Re: fabricating cabinets - Posted by SJO

Posted by SJO on January 13, 2007 at 10:19:45:

He uses a router to do what, Steve? Where does he get wood to match the existing paper laminated cab doors?

Re: fabricating cabinets - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on January 13, 2007 at 15:25:11:

finish plywood to make a custom door, and stain it. It only has to be close - - - in fact, it dont even have to be close. Future pics of this unit will show, theres about 4 patterns of cabinets in this kitchen - but it wont affect the sales price. \

Kinda like using furniture instead of a tack strip

;-)3