New ADA regulations?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on August 06, 2011 at 18:47:26:

What are these new regulations with the ADA? If you buy an apartment complex do you have to make every apartment ADA compliant???

Re: New ADA regulations?? - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on August 07, 2011 at 10:47:26:

Mike,

No, residential properties are still exempt from ADA, for now anyway.

The new regs I mentioned below apply to all commercial buildings and involve (among others) new restroom configurations, a narrowing of the “best efforts” compliance measures, new provisions for stairway ramp and lift standards, etc. (I don’t have the whole list with me and refuse to Google it and ruin a peaceful Sunday morning!)

Typical of DC bureaucratic incompetence, the regs are still not finalized or published. But the enforcement date of 1 July 2011 is unchanged. When the final regs do come out they will be retroactive to 1 July '11.

That means if we commence a project with a permit issued after July 1 it will be subject to regulations our architect hasn’t seen, the building inspector can’t interpret, and the contractor can’t price. Further, if a CO is issued and the project is later found not in compliance the CO is voided and we’re subject to local fines and penalties for inhabiting a building without a CO, not to mention whatever federal penalties are assessed for non-compliance.

How’s that for a plan to get America working again?

ray

p.s. Have you seen the bumper sticker “WTF, BO?” (with the “O” the stylized Obama “road” logo). I want a dozen to give to people I’m dealing with on the incredible stupidity of policies like the above. Hat tip and my thanks to Judah and Cathy Hoover from Lancaster PA. They stopped by my office in Blacksburg last week and that sticker was on Cathy’s van! You go girl!

Hat tip to Ray - Posted by Judah hard money Hoover

Posted by Judah hard money Hoover on August 08, 2011 at 11:56:08:

Hat tip to Ray for years of sage Real Estate and now BBQ advice.

Mike, WE are not doomed. They are doomed, the poor and un-educated (and I aint talking college) are doomed. The un-connected and un-flexible are doomed. Those of us like you me and Ray can make money in good markets and bad markets. If you are open minded, and you are willing to take action, BAD NEWS IS GOOD NEWS.

Re: New ADA regulations?? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on August 07, 2011 at 22:03:51:

Hey Ray, thanks for responding so fast! Its great to get your replies. I take it these new compliance laws for ADA would be required for a storage unit faciltiy that was being upgraded??? I guess ramps would be the only issue there.

I feel for anyone like you who is trying to build something with no idea as to what the new compliance will be in the future. These morons in Washington dont have a clue. I hope were not doomed!

Re: New ADA regulations?? - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on August 09, 2011 at 08:14:58:

Mike,

Self-storage is under ADA jurisdiction. Ramps and doorways are a given.

Lesser known are the requirements for service counters (e.g. wheelchair accessible means 36" max. height) and provisions for providing all documents for hearing impaired and the blind. Ditto for fire alarms/smoke detectors. These are typically very simple to provide. Check with the SS trade association for details.

I want to clarify that I am ranting against ADA regs. Making businesses accessible to all customers is just good business. What I was complaining about was not being able to get the new standards so we can plan accordingly.

ray