Neighbor Using my Dumpster

I recently bought a 3 unit building and due to evicting tenants in 2 of the units Ive discovered that someone is using my dumpster. My only tenant is a middle aged guy who is NEVER home and couldnt possibly have created 2 bags of trash in 2 days. I believe it is the home owner that lives behind my building. They have easy access and I can clearly see all 4 sides of their home and cannot see a dumpster. There is no garage to hide one in either.

How do I handle effectively?

[QUOTE=Brandon (NE Indiana);882573]I recently bought a 3 unit building and due to evicting tenants in 2 of the units Ive discovered that someone is using my dumpster. My only tenant is a middle aged guy who is NEVER home and couldnt possibly have created 2 bags of trash in 2 days. I believe it is the home owner that lives behind my building. They have easy access and I can clearly see all 4 sides of their home and cannot see a dumpster. There is no garage to hide one in either.

How do I handle effectively?[/QUOTE]

First of all, your not going to like my answer, so stop reading if you dont the want bad news.

Heres some truth, without the sugarcoating.
No one is going to care about your dumpster except you. Everyone in the area is glad that trash landed in a dumpster (anyones dumpster) and not on the ground or in the road. Especially if this is in a low income area. You could dig through it all and try to find a name or address to prove whos it is, and still no one is going to care. If it actually is the neighbor, then tell them they can use it if they mow your lawn, and chase away anyone else trying to use it. If that dosent work then the best way to handle this is to not let it bother you. You can drive yourself nuts with this kind of thing, but the truth is if this is the worst thing that happens to you then you are doing better than 99% of all landlords.

I actually like the idea of exchanging lawn care…kinda assumed most of what you said. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I just hope they stick to normal household trash.

I agree with AmotoXracer. Lock up the dumpster somehow or let it go. It may not even be the neighbor but the same bums who drove up to my dumpster last week and illegally dumped their trash in it before driving away.

When I buy a rehab I usually introduce myself to the neighbors, let them know that I’ll be cleaning up the dump of the neighborhood and evicting the scum. They are always very appreciative. I then let them know that if they have some trash they want to throw out, within reason, use the dumpster. Just be sure to keep an eye out on the property and give me a call if you notice something suspicious. Works wonders when you’re trying to work WITH people as opposed to fighting against.

UPDATE…

I had a neighbor call me today without me doing anything with this issue to report that the lady across the street has been using my dumpster. She is actually the girlfriend of my only tenant. Ill let her slide…she is a single middle aged lady and doesnt generate much. I agree with you guys though…its not worth my time provided theyre not dumping illegal items.

Thanks

Hold on there Nelly! It’s a different story if you actually know whose doing it. Not that you want to try and prosecute them or anything. But you do want to bring it to her attention that you understand she’s using the dumpster and you don’t have a problem with it. Just ask her to keep an eye out for anyone dumping in it without permission. And she should make sure that she only puts household trash in it and not tires, her cousin’s sheetrock from his demolished bathroom, Aunt Linda’s trash from the basement, etc.

Again you don’t want to stress yourself out looking for the culprit but if you do happen to get a tip, address it and make sure you stay in control. Or they will accept the inch you give them AND take a mile.