Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 17, 2001 at 06:40:08:

Yes I have given that some thought. I see that the more assertive FSBO sellers from those subdivisions already place their FSBO and Open House signs on the weekends at the major intersetions near their communities, or outside the gates at least, with a contact phone number. (Incidentally I stick my We Buy Houses bandit signs right next to those FSBO signs)

It would be like marketing most any other house with ads, signs, phone time, pre-screening prospects, and then the added necessity of dealing with the gate people. Honey attracts alot more flies than vinegar. I find that knowing people on a first name basis counts for alot. So donuts or other goodies for the security/gate people, plus me having their direct phone line, as well as them having my cell phone number, perhaps even an incentive to see who lets in the client that eventually purchases my house? Just thinking out loud here, I am certain there are others with ideas about this topic -

SandyFL

Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 16, 2001 at 11:44:24:

I am targeting a couple of the newer subdivisions in search of subject-to prospects, and flyer distribution is something I am interested in. Couple problems though - alot of these are gated communities - where not just anyone can get in - especially solicitors - and I can’t find any flyer distributors in my area. At least not out in these newer communities. The only flyers I have spotted were in non-gated communities, they were distributed by the roofing companies themselves - not something I am interested in doing. Also, the pizza delivery people have a very regimented advertising space now so that you have to buy quite alot of advertising to share space on the backs of their coupons etc.

I’m just asking for any new ideas - outside the box thinkers - anyone who knows how to locate these types who deliver flyers?

SandyFL

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on July 17, 2001 at 17:26:34:

Sandy,
I’ve noticed a few of those types of subdivisions here in my area as well.
Rather than deal with the rules of the HOA and the gaurd at the gate, I decided to either use mailings or newspaper inserts.
I called our local paper, and it is actually cheaper to place an insert flyer into the paper then it is to place a classified ad.
Also, there is a company called “Advo” , which has these neat little cards they mail out to homes in the area. My wife is calling them tomorrow to get rates etc.
Same thing with Valpak and the like.
And of course, the signs near the area work well.
I just looked at a home in one of these last night, and the seller got my number from a sign directly accross from the exit to the local convenience store, in a ditch.
I plan on trying to use the fact that marketing these homes will take more effort and money, since a simple yard sign will not be feasable, when negotiating with the sellers.
We shall see what I get.

Take care,
Jim FL

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by John P

Posted by John P on July 16, 2001 at 21:36:08:

Sandy,
I live in one of those gated communities in SW Broward county.I can’t distribute flyers in my own area. The only thing you could try to do is put signs on I75 and Griffin road and exit 11 & 12 off of I75 near alligator alley. Sandy I know my community is very tough on people putting up flyers. They will ask you once not to do it and if you persist they will not allow your company into they area. For me being a homeowner in the area I would be fined. This does not stop me from dropping off cards in the supermarket or at the convience store. I hope this helps.

John P. S.FL

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by Bryan H (ny)

Posted by Bryan H (ny) on July 16, 2001 at 13:05:44:

Ask the paperboys to put up door hangers for you. Just make sure they don’t put your flyer in with the paper - you don’t want an angry newspaper sueing you for advertising $'s plus legal costs. In fact, it’s probably best to have them do it when they aren’t delivering papers. If the paperboy doesn’t want to, ask him if he has any friends who will do it. To find out who the paperboy is, call the paper and ask them who delivers to your address (of course tell them you live in the subdiv).

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on July 16, 2001 at 12:50:59:

If you had the ABC’s of Subject To, you’d already know to look for a flyer which is being distributed within these communities and contact the company on the flyer and ask them who distributes these flyers, then contact the distributor directly.

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by MicheleFL

Posted by MicheleFL on July 16, 2001 at 12:44:12:

Sandy,

I’m also in FL and have seen people make deals with the
Shopper’s Guide that is usually a freebie paper that sits in your driveway. I’m not sure of the cost, but have seen many mortgage/realty companies include a flyer with this paper.

Just a thought…

Sandy You Could Jump Over The Gate - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on July 16, 2001 at 12:41:03:

Is there a shuttle bus or taxi service that frequents that area. Maybe you could buy space on the sides of those vehicles. Any nearby golf courses. Many of the home owners may have memberships at the golf course. Put your advertising on the carts and there is probably a bulletin board there.

A nearby supermarket where they shop.

How bout on the side of the riding lawn mower that cuts the grass. Or the side of the snowplow. Ooops. Not in Florida.

Just some thoughts that quickly come to mind.

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 17, 2001 at 06:30:19:

Thanks for that very polite and helpful answer John. I know that people pay a premium to live in a gated community, and many of them appreciate the structure. Others get annoyed by the intense security, the inability to leave their garage door open, to change their oil in their own driveway, or display a flag other than the Stars 'n Stripes. Wow we could do a whole thread on the HOA’s, eh?

Anyway thanks for your reply. See you in the 7-11’s :slight_smile:

SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 16, 2001 at 13:24:20:

Actually I DO have the course and I have tried that. Which is why I pointed out, that in my market, the newer subdivisions are gated, they don’t allow those kinds of flyers to be distributed. And the non-gated older adjacent properties have a few flyers on them - but they are distributed by the company who is advertising. (i.e, the roofer distributes their own flyers, but not for other businesses)

SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 16, 2001 at 13:20:49:

Thanks Michele - there is a shopper down here like that which I will check into.

SandyFL

that reminds me… - Posted by Walt_FL

Posted by Walt_FL on July 16, 2001 at 19:06:05:

I saw a Pond/Lake at a Country Club that apparently was being 'Let Go’at a Tax Deed Sale, I was Creatively thinking of buying and placing IBUYHOUSES Boat on the water. Could have been very interesting…

Walt_FL

Some of these ‘useless parcels’ may be worthwhile if you can advertise on them?? Use a Land Trust.

Re: Sandy You Could Jump Over The Gate - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 16, 2001 at 13:28:13:

Phil maybe you could lease room on the side of your boat. Instead of www.wrapcars.com you could start wrapboats.com Shoot, I’d sign up a free boat and drive it around for you…

Hey that just gave me a great idea. LOL
wrapgolfcarts.com? Think they’d go for it?

Targeted Direct Mail??? Thank You… - Posted by Walt_FL

Posted by Walt_FL on July 16, 2001 at 18:56:44:

Hi Sandy,

How about a Letter, Packet, Post Card? The Mailman delivers to them All if Its the Right address (County Appraiser’s) Sounds like a neat clever Pastel Thank you Card Note might be a Tact that would put your contact info in front of them. They sound a little uppity, worth a shot if you want to farm the area.

All the Best,

Walt_FL @NoEpert4Sure HaHa!!

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by Paul James

Posted by Paul James on July 16, 2001 at 16:04:32:

Your best bet is a carrier route mailing…if all else fails… no names or address needed, simply, every house on the particular “carriers” route gets whatever you have…you need to go to the post office and get details…there’s some start up expense, but, if all else fails, this is what is left as viable. I personally would sneak in and go to town…but…

Finally… - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 17, 2001 at 20:23:17:

A commercial use for my fins and diving mask! What say I dive into those murky mucky community ponds in Florida - at night - stealth style, of course, and set up like an inner tube with a triad of three signs each visible from a different direction. I’ll anchor it at the bottom of the muck. Everyone on all sides of the pond can read your sign and virtually no one is going to go out there and pull that sucker down.

And for this service, I’ll only charge you $200 per set up. (You supply the signs and the inner tubes) That should cover the cost of my risk (alligators and Nazi security guards), and the tequila is would take for me to go IN that water! :smiley:

SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 16, 2001 at 16:25:20:

OK James. How does one “sneak in” to a particular community? I mean one I checked - you could see their FSBO sign on the outside of the wall, the guards wouldn’t even let me drive through the community to check the address of the house or look at the area. They wanted to “call the realtor or the homeowner and see if they’re expecting you”… it was ridiculous. No such thing as a drive-by “Oh look honey that house is for sale” possibility in those areas.

Not trying to be negative. I put my “We Buy Houses” signs adjacent to those subdivisions - some of them stay up and some of them get taken down - so what - I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas I hadn’t thought of.

Incidentally, my husband delivers construction materials to these still-building subdivisions, and he’s always distributing my card and writing down FSBO addesses for me. He’s a good egg :slight_smile:

SandyFL

Re: Need ideas for flyer distribution - Posted by RSteadham - Houston

Posted by RSteadham - Houston on July 16, 2001 at 19:48:19:

Sandy,

Have you given any thought to how you will market one of these houses once you’ve bought it? Marketing in the gated community will definitely require creative thinking and extra effort on your part.