Need help with covering concrete block!! - Posted by Eric in FL

Posted by ~Steve~ on April 30, 2003 at 11:42:20:

Eric-

I don’t know what is common in Florida; but the most cost effective way is to fur out the wall with 1x lumber and cover with dry wall. In the void between the concrete block and dry wall you can also add a layer of rigid insulation if you wanted, but probably don’t need to being in Florida.

OR

You can plaster over the block and get a realy nice high end finish; however, it is more expensive.

Need help with covering concrete block!! - Posted by Eric in FL

Posted by Eric in FL on April 30, 2003 at 10:09:03:

I just purchased a large florida rehab that still has the old concrete block look in all the rooms. Do you guys concrete over, stucco, or drywall? I know asthetics and resell has alot to do with it but I am looking for the most cost effective and high end buyer desirable (3500 sq ft).

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Need help with covering concrete block!! - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on April 30, 2003 at 19:44:11:

I worked in Fl for a while in the early 90’s as a plumber. I saw a lot of houses being built of block with metal roof trusses. They were plastered on the outside, interior wall were all metal studs. The interior block walls were furred out with a metal “hat channel” which was then drywalled. They also had a cellulose insulation blown on the wall between the furring strips.

Re: Need help with covering concrete block!! - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on April 30, 2003 at 12:33:58:

Contact CTi, in Largo, FL. They will hook you up with one of many contractors in your area.

The product is a acrylic/cement mix, that is colored, and can be applied to look like anything. And I mean anything. I used to be a contractor for them. You could have it look like tile, stucco, marble, exposed aggregate, or plain concrete, or whatever else your imagination can conjur up. Really, my old line was, “If we can imagine it, it can be done.” Beyond durable, even outside. I will let you know that it’s not cheap, but you guys benefit from multiple contractors in the area. Shop it around, and you’ll find a good price. You did say high end, and that is all I marketed to here.