Moving into a 3-plex - Posted by David Holcombe

Posted by Joe C. on April 02, 2001 at 05:45:12:

Eviction laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but every place I’ve had property allows eviction for this reason or if you want a family member to occupy.
Joe C.

Moving into a 3-plex - Posted by David Holcombe

Posted by David Holcombe on April 02, 2001 at 05:21:17:

My wife and I are buying a 3-plex which is currently 100% occupied with month-to-month rental agreements. We want to move into one of the units … are we allowed to evict one of the tenants for this reason?

Thanks,

-David Holcombe

Re: Moving into a 3-plex - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on April 02, 2001 at 20:28:07:

The short answer is, yes. In fact, if they are all month to month leases, you do not even need a reason to make one move out. Just give them 30 days’ notice and they’re outta there.

I would do some careful investigating, however, to see WHICH tenant you want to kick out…I am sure that of the 3, there will be one that’s a little less prompt in their payments or whatever…make sure you keep the best ones!

NT

Re: Moving into a 3-plex - Posted by Earnest

Posted by Earnest on April 02, 2001 at 19:34:29:

If the agreements truly are month-to-month, you’ll have no problem letting someone go. YOu would have to do this according to current leases are written. You must see the leases before the sale; don’t buy without first inspecting the actual leases. There could be a clause in the agreement to this factor. Look for a clause about “sale of property” or something similar.

Remember, that you may be starting off on the wrong foots with your tenants if you let a well-liked tenant move out. So, tread softly.

Study landlording of your new to it. No matter what, I would re-write the leases; you may need to do some studying in order to determine what is right for your situation. Get them to your liking.

Re: Moving into a 3-plex - Posted by Glenn_OH

Posted by Glenn_OH on April 02, 2001 at 10:31:36:

Does the property have postive cash flow now? If it does, why not keep tenants and buy another that has 1 vacancy. If it doesn’t, try raising the rents to make it positive and buy another, if raising the rent doesn’t get one tenant to move. Just a thought.
Glenn