Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on May 31, 2001 at 07:15:28:

Eric,
These are my thoughts exactly. People come to the movies to get lost in the movie and escape reality for a while no matter what the cost. I think this is more of the norm than not.

You also posted below about costs. I finally did a little research on it and found one company called Pot O’ Gold productions out of florida. This is the company that has the advertising available in most or our area.

The rates are less the longer you sign up. The best deal was a one year contract. It boiled down to $406 per month. Sign up would have consisited of first and last month and a $250 production fee. If it did’t work you could buy your way out of the contract by paying the next months rent.

The way it worked was they put more than one slide in the slide projector and your ad would come around every 3 minutes so if a person sat down 10 minutes early they would have seen your spot at least 3 times. (Annoying but affective)

Another option that was givin to me was I could go in with another advertiser and split the monthly cost but our spots would come up every 6 minutes instead. This would make it only $203 per month. The only thing is there would be another $250 production cost to sign up. I think if I try it, this is the way I am going to go. This way the start up would only be $656 with a monthly fee of $203.

I personally think this would get more attention than a newspaper ad where there are 6 other we buy houses ads in it and the cost is over $400 per month in our paper. Sure there is a big circulation of newspapers but how many people go to that section to see your ad. Unlike the movie screen you came to the movie to relax and you have this huge advertisment you can’t help but look at.

In my research I called a few of the advertisers that I see all the time on our screens. Every one of them said it made a huge difference. I talked to an insurance agent and she said her buisness doubled. I talked to a sub shop and he said his business picked up by 75%. I talked to a guy that had a pool enclosure business that he almost had to shut down from lack of business and decided to use this as a last ditch effort of marketing. He said that it saved his company.

As far as how it would work for our business, I don’t know. But I have a feeling it may be worth a shot. Maybe they are not all desperate sellers, But there have to be a lot of them that maybe going through a divorce, have an expired listing, have an estate situation, there have got to be a ton of tired landlords and more.

Mark

Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on May 29, 2001 at 14:25:37:

In an effort to step up my marketing and use a different advertising media than everyone else in the area I thought I may look into Movie Slide Advertising. These are the advertising slides that are shown before the Movie.

Being a movie buff I see these things all the time and have wondered how effective they are. For the most part I can see that they are a very strong form of advertising because the audiance is sitting there waiting for the main feature to come on. One thing I can say is that as many movies as I go to ( about One a week )I remember almost all the advertisers on these slides.

I decided to do a little checking on it and although I don’t have all the information here is what I do have.

*41% of the movie goers are between the ages of 24 and 49.

*The average income of that group of movie goers is 65k.

*Most people will travel 5 to 7 miles to see a movie.

What I am wondering is, will this get to the people we need it to get to, or is it a waisted target?

I haven’t got the exact costs but they can range from 100 to 700 per month. I know this is a big variable at this point but, to be honest I think this would be competitive with some of the major newspapers in some areas. Plus the fact that it is such a captive audiance ad, I wonder how it would do?

One of the things that caught my attention for instance was the recent release of The Pearl Harbor Movie. One of our major theaters has this movie playing on three screens and each showing was sold out all weekend long for almost every time slot. That is a lot of people and I believe that would be a bigger and more captive audience than any other form of advertising.

Has anyone else tried or considerd this form of advertising for we buy houses?

Mark

Re: Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on May 30, 2001 at 17:27:29:

I looked into this for my area as well, going along the same reasoning as you were. The main problem I noticed with it was that the minimum commitments were very high. I don’t remember exactly what all it was, but it looked like about the cheapest I could do it for was about $800-$1000 a month. To me, that’s a lot of money for just one form of media. I’ll probably try it once I have more money coming in. Right now, I’ve budgeted myself about $1000 a month to spend on marketing, and I would rather leverage this across several forms of more “targeted” media, such as classified ads, bandit signs, direct mail to preforeclosures, etc. I guess my tack on it is, if you’ve exhausted all of the less expensive, well-known techniques, and you still have some money to spread around, it might be worth a shot.

Re: Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by GinoAZ

Posted by GinoAZ on May 30, 2001 at 15:09:42:

Two girls that work for me do it as Loan officers and have seen “average” results. One spent $350 for 2 weeks and it brough her 2 loans which she made about $2000 on each. SO…i guess it just depends on if its worth it to you.

Gino

Re: Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by Nick FL

Posted by Nick FL on May 30, 2001 at 14:13:56:

The average income is $65k? Why would someone making $65k/yr want to spend the time and effort in selling his/her home? I would think that they would typically use a realtor, pay them their commission and be done with it. My point is, someone making that much money is probably not too concerned with saving $5-6k in realtor commissions. They just want their house sold so they can have more money to see movies and install their home intertainment center in their new middle class house.

Of course the other side is, people making $65k/yr probably have a higher IQ than someone making $25k/yr. Maybe financing to an investor with the thought of making some money in interest or other creative financing techniques would actually be something of interest to them.

This is touch and go.

Pretty risky though.

Let me know how it goes.

Re: Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 30, 2001 at 01:14:12:

I notice a Realtor who used to advertise at one theater I went to. He stopped.

My guess is that this 41% that are between 25-49…3/4 of those are between 25-30…probably not a prime age for homesellers.

Then there’s the concept that what would a motivated seller be attending a movie for?

Makes no sense to me…but if you decide to do it with YOUR money…let me know how it works.

JPiper

Re: Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by Jonathan Rexford

Posted by Jonathan Rexford on May 29, 2001 at 20:25:06:

Mark,

See if they will let you do a sticker on the cup of soda thing. I bet if you make the offer they will do if they do not have a promo going on. I am getting my flyers ready to place in a Domino’s mailing. For the last few months I have been getting a cup thrown in my driveway in a clear bag. I thought why not put my flyer in the bag. They have 5000 going out at a time. at .10 each thats 500 bucks. I think its worth it for the type of market that I am trying to attract. Give them a call or call me. Well gotta go

Jonathan Rexford
1st Metropolitan Mortgage

Re: Movie Theater Advertising - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on May 30, 2001 at 17:34:02:

I don’t know if I agree with your last statement. Depressed people often go out to movies, restaurants, etc. to cheer themselves up. And who’s more depressed than someone getting divorced, months behind on their payments, and about to lose their house to foreclosure?

It’s an ironic fact of human nature that people tend to spend more money on frivolous things in desperate times. Witness how many movie palaces flourished during the great depression, only to become defunct after the war. I have also known other people in “indulgence” type business who have reported this same effect. I once talked with a hair salon owner who told me that he liked recessions, because his business always picked up during those times. He said, “people spend more money on themselves when they’re feeling low”.

It doesn’t make much logical sense, I know. Ideally, the less money you have, the more cautious you should be with it, but we’ve all encountered very illogical and irrational behavior from those in dire straits. If I had half the offers accepted I have made to people who SHOULD have been motivated, and every reason to sell quickly, but didn’t, I’d probably be retired right now.

The surge of streaming services has sparked a significant transformation in how people consume entertainment. With diverse platforms offering a plethora of content accessible at any time, traditional TV viewing habits have shifted dramatically. For a convenient and diverse selection of films, visit our platform to watch movies online at your leisure. This revolution has empowered audiences to curate personalized viewing experiences, transcending geographical boundaries and rigid schedules. Binge-watching entire series or discovering niche films has become the norm, fostering a culture of on-demand entertainment. Moreover, the prevalence of original content production by streaming giants has revolutionized storytelling, encouraging creative innovation and providing opportunities for emerging talents. As this trend continues to evolve, the streaming landscape not only redefines entertainment consumption but also shapes the future dynamics of the industry, ultimately placing the audience at the forefront of this transformative journey.