Mother died- need advice on MH - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve-NJ on March 11, 2004 at 11:21:52:

That was unintentional. The park sales office set the price. Based on the postings, I figured everyone here realizes that whatever the list price is doesn’t mean a thing. That’s why I commented that I was saying it with a grin. If I could get $29k for a used MH I wouldn’t be sitting in my office!

The magic words for me are “motivated seller” which is what I am. Somewhere north of $0 is a price that will make everyone happy.

Mother died- need advice on MH - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 08, 2004 at 14:11:16:

I’ll try to keep this brief. My mother bought a MH in a park in FL. She owns it outright but pays about $450 in lot rent per month. She died suddenly a few months later. My brother is executor and has been paying the lot rent out of money our mother left (also paying bare min. utilities, and taxes). This has been going on for 8 mos.

We live in New England and can’t use the MH. We’re currently using the park’s sales office to sell it, but after many months, no bites. Yesterday the sales director said the floor needs about $1,500 in repair. We don’t want to sink any more into the MH.

Our goal is to sell it for as much as we can get, and to end the lease payments. The options I see are 1)stop paying rent, whereupon the park will take possession (what are the pros and cons there aside from the obvious?) 2)get a professional realtor 3)donate the home to charity for taxc writeoff and have them move it away (is that realistic?) 4) see if the park will buy it. Are there other things to consider? I would appreciate any advice or insights.

Thanks

Re: Mother died- need advice on MH - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on March 08, 2004 at 14:29:37:

I think that lately, there are more people here on this board from Florida than from any other state.

Post some specifics: Park name, location, space number, park manager phone number, description of the home: year, manuf, bed/bath, size . . .

You may just have come upon your best alternative yet

Re: Mother died- need advice on MH - Posted by Steve-NJ

Posted by Steve-NJ on March 08, 2004 at 15:03:53:

I don’t know all specifics, but here’s what I have- it is in Bay Indies in Venice, on the end of a cul-de-sac (the development basically has one main drag into it with streets on each side that end in cul-de-sacs, with each street having 8-10 homes). The home has 3 BRs and 2 baths and is one of the only “used” ones with 3 bedrooms. I am not sure of the dimensions but consider the home a rectangle split by a hallway. One long side has a bedroom, dining area, kitchen, full bath, and second bedroom, while the opposite side has the master bedroom with full bath, and a combo living area/family space that occupies probably a quarter of the total square footage (this space is as long as one bedroom, dining room and kitchen).

The rooms are very good size. There’s an enclosed lanai area and a covered driveway. As I said, lot rent is about $450/mo. It’s listed at $29k (salesmanship aside, I say that with a slight grin).

Let me know what you think.
Steve

Re: Mother died- need advice on MH - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on March 10, 2004 at 23:16:30:

That $29K price sure killed the posts on this one didn’t it?