Monitor heaters - opinions - Posted by AndyR

Posted by rise2it (VA) on April 22, 2009 at 14:35:51:

My experience was different from Tony - I put one in a home where the oil furnace had died.

It simply did not heat the home…maybe 1/2 of the living room…big temperature drop walking into the next room, which was a kitchen. HUGE temperature drop down the hall into the bedrooms and bath.

Ended up having the home rewired and an electric furnace put in.

For a single (even a very large) room, they are fine…a den, a basement, etc… I know a man that heats a roughly 1000 square foot store with one - but again, it’s one big open area.

With that said, they do seem to be VERY efficient.

Monitor heaters - opinions - Posted by AndyR

Posted by AndyR on April 17, 2009 at 18:42:35:

I have an opportunity to buy an 87 Oxford for about $5000 plus transport. Could be right for the park. It has a monitor heater - propane and electric heat. Any experience with monitor heaters. Any problems selling homes with them installed? insurance issues?

great heaters, pricy too - Posted by roundhouse

Posted by roundhouse on April 30, 2009 at 11:25:45:

They are great heaters, Ive not had any experience with the propane ones though just the Kerosene.

Very efficient and also quite pricy, usually retail for over $1,000

Re: Monitor heaters ??? - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on April 20, 2009 at 15:04:27:

What is a monitor heater ?
Are these the infared heaters I see advertised now ?
Built by the “Amish” they say…

Re: Monitor heaters - opinions - Posted by shawn sisco

Posted by shawn sisco on April 19, 2009 at 10:53:53:

what is a monitor heater

Re: Monitor heaters - opinions - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 18, 2009 at 05:59:38:

At the very least, find a way to bolt them down well. We have had 2 of the 3 we own stolen from mobile homes.

Re: Monitor heaters ??? - Posted by andyr

Posted by andyr on April 21, 2009 at 16:06:55:

A monitor heater is a compact heater available in models that burn oil, propane or K-1. They are about 3’x4’x1’. The advantage is that they don’t require a chimney making them easy to retrofit. They have a pipe within a pipe that passes through the exterior wall. The outer pipe sucks in fresh air while the inner exhausts burned gases. They are great to convert a home from electric heat. There is no ducting. If it is not centrally installed, there could be problems with heat distribution and frozen pipes. They are relatively inexpensive and quite popular.

Re: Monitor heaters ??? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 20, 2009 at 15:32:26:

No. Monitor is a brand name. The burning house heating fuel. Ours had an exterior vent and interior fan for circulation. They are programmable and heat quite well.

Tony