Money to be made? - Posted by Mike

Posted by RobertR_CO on October 06, 1999 at 15:52:15:

Great response, Rob, and may I add that busy listing agents in our area hire other agents to serve their buyers full time. The busy agent provides all leads and they split commission 50/50. I know an agent who pays $50-60K per year to her helper. This of course depends upon sales volume. Our average home sells for about $200K. I bet that helper works long hours, too. Before jumping in, see if you can find said busy agent who will hire someone inexperienced.

Cordially, RobertR

Money to be made? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on October 06, 1999 at 02:30:18:

Hello,
I just recently purchased my first home through an agent. I was so dismayed by the way he handled the whole deal and with his unprofessionalism that I figured I could have done a better job. My questions is, If someone with no experience in the field was to get their real estate licence, is their money to be made? Will appreciate all responses.

Re: Money to be made? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on October 06, 1999 at 11:53:31:

Of course there is money to be made. You can make money in any profession. There are many salespeople who make 6 figure incomes (and even more who quit within the first year).

The real question is “Do you want to exchange one job for another job?” Real estate sales is a very time intensive business. Long hours and lots of nights and weekends. I prefer to focus on the investment end of it myself. I have a broker’s license but mostly use it for my own deals. I don’t want to be chasing down listings or driving all over town with a buyer. I already have a job. I won’t turn listings down generally, but I don’t readily encourage them either. Although I have never done real estate sales full time, most of the Realtor colleagues I have networked with have told me not to expect much, if any, volume for the first few months. (Your learning phase.)