Mold on bedroom walls - Posted by John08

Posted by John08 on June 10, 2006 at 22:30:16:

Thanks Clint.

Mold on bedroom walls - Posted by John08

Posted by John08 on June 10, 2006 at 19:14:47:

What would cause this? And should I replace the drywall or just bleach,kilz, and paint it?

Thanks

Re: Mold on bedroom walls - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on June 10, 2006 at 23:45:17:

John,

If the water acting on the wall is coming from the INSIDE the problem can’t be fixed from the outside if the inside is ignored.

If the house has drywall, as opposed to other substrates, the drywall can be so contaminated from the inside of the wall it shows up on the outside. Your eyes only see the outside, the problem may be deeper than that.

Drywall is cheap and replacing it will give you access to the wall studs and sill plate. These may need to be treated as well to kill the mold. I have had to replace disintegrated anchor bolts holding the sill plate to the foundation while fixing a mold problem. The mold didn’t hurt the bolts, the water did. Just as it destroyed the drywall and fed the mold. I have also given the buyers a $1200.00 credit toward future mold liability to make the deal work for both sides.

Mold is a real issue in some cases. Don’t underestimate its ramifications if it surfaces in negotiations either on the buy side, or the sell side in your deals. Mold issues are not just limited to the physical damage to the structure, there are lawyers waiting in the wings for you to allow them into your life, albeit uninvited. Be sure you have a good grasp of the true costs of remediating the problem. A lot depends on your locality and the prevailing regs and attitudes. HTH

KJ

Re: Mold on bedroom walls - Posted by Clint

Posted by Clint on June 10, 2006 at 20:03:14:

Mold is always caused by water. Is it near a window, is the roof leaking, is the gutter, pushing water down the wall?

Fix the source, then bleach, kilz, and paint.

Clint