Mobile Home Park Tenant Questions? - Posted by John

Posted by Joe Dahlin on March 08, 1999 at 16:54:14:

Hi John: Why make your job miserable?? When I get a tenant in my apt’s that cause me problems they get a 60 day notice before the end of their lease that their lease won’t be renewed. They get mad and move. Sometimes before the lease ends. You don’t have to have a reason. I’m going to start asking for 1 1/2 months rent as a security deposit as they usually don’t pay the last month’s rent. Hope this helps. Joe from MN the land of snow.

Mobile Home Park Tenant Questions? - Posted by John

Posted by John on March 07, 1999 at 17:53:53:

I manage a 33 unit mobile home park and have been having problems with the same tenants time after time. Last night was again another problem that lead to an argrument with the tenants kids that are about 17 years old.

First let me back up to a prior problem. The same tenant let his sons girlfriend move into there home without advising the management, so I sent them a letter that stated that if the girlfriend is to remain after 90 days (with is the law here) that the monthly lot rent would be incresed to $200.00 from $150.00. There is 6 adults and one child living into this 3 bedroom 1 bath home.

Last night when I was conducting the winter road maintenance (snow plowing) these same tenants were throwing the snow back into the road. I would plow again and they would throw the snow back into the road. I then stopped and advised them that if they keep throwing the snow into the road that I would plow the driveway in, they stated that they had no where to throw the snow. I talking with the tenants son and girlfriend they told me that my rules were “just made up” and I can’t tell them who or how many people can either stay or move into there home.

The girlfriend had a real dirty talking mouth when speaking. I did advise them of a possible eviction if these problems keep occuring.

The bottom line is “what should I do” Should I have evicted the girlfriend from the park last night? Should I still sent a letter and evict her from the park? Should I evict the family from the park? Should I have called the police and made a report? Should I just overlook this problem until next time?

If you need more information please e-mail me. All experts please reply, I’m stumped at this time.

Thanks…

John

Re: Mobile Home Park Tenant Questions? - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 09, 1999 at 18:28:24:

Make sure you are following your own states manufacture home community statutes and your lease/covenents regarding notice of violations and termination. And by all means, as was said below, say what you’ll do and do what you say. Follow through because you expect the resident to. (Everytime, all the time.) I’d shine the snow issue, but girl living in the home who is not on the lease are TRESPASSING and should be handled accordingly. Doug

In My Experience… - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on March 08, 1999 at 13:22:57:

Hi John,
In my experience sometimes you get more flies with honey than with vineger. Yes even with mobile home folks.
I have shoveled some driveways and yes “snow placement” can be a pain.
Maybe this is how I would have handled this.
“You know Mr. Jones, this just doesn’t seem to be working. It seems to me that you don’t have a place to put the snow that you are shoveling. Now I’ve shoveled a driveway or two in time, and what I’ve done is make really tall piles…etc.”
What has happened here is that you have acknowledged his problem, stated your own and offered a solution.
As for the tennet-heavy question, I’m assuming that you are renting the mobile home out. Okay… Are you including their utilities in your rent? If so, sure your justified in being concered, 6 people take 6 showers etc. So I see your point. Maybe would TALK to these people, see what the problem is…and try to solve it.
I just saw Jeff Taylor this weekend, and some of his “landlord” ideas blew me away. The man knows what he is talking about. Check out some of his stuff.
Bottom line, happy tennets make payments.
Dirk

Re: Mobile Home Park Tenant Questions? - Posted by Freddy in OKLA

Posted by Freddy in OKLA on March 07, 1999 at 22:34:59:

Life is too short to deal with people like this. Send them an eviction notice and follow through with the procedure. Make sure you cite them for breaking a park rule as grounds for eviction. They will squel like a pig under a gate, but they had plenty of chances it sounds like to me. Just cover yourself legally if it should go to court, but I don’t see that happening by the nature of your post.

Re: Mobile Home Park Tenant Questions? - Posted by Dan in Dallas

Posted by Dan in Dallas on March 07, 1999 at 20:35:16:

John:
As a landlord who was a parole officer not many years ago I will offer the following advise when dealing with
people like this: Say what you mean and mean what you say. If you let them run things that’s exactly what they will do. ( I think thats the way to deal with children also).

Good luck!

Dan