Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by lando on September 11, 2011 at 06:08:09:

I have a 12X56 that was a 3 bedroom, It was almost impossible to rent because of the room sizes. Tenants want to at least have a queen size and many like the king size beds. A three bedroom 12 wide simply won’t allow much more than a double. I tore out the middle wall and the hallway of the two small bedrooms. In effect the customer has to walk through the bedroom to use the bath. Now he can use a king size bed which makes a marketable product even if it does seem a little weird to have to go through one bedroom to get to the other. This was a cheap fix, basically a repaint of the ceiling after the wall tear-out, and a small circuit reran, and and new piece of carpet. Instead of 2 almost unusable 9x9 foot bedrooms with a 12X9 master bedroom at the rear, there is one 18X12 master bedroom with a 12x9 small room at the rear!

Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 06, 2011 at 08:59:27:

There has been a great deal of discussion about what we will do when repo?s are no longer available at affordable prices or in sufficient volume. The conversation includes the lack of new homes that are affordable and what if any will be produced in the future to meet a reasonable price point and quality expectation.

I recently visited an old, old mobile home that had been completely rebuilt. This home was the typically boxy 12 wide, 2 bed one bath with an almost flat, metal roof. This home even had the old tie down straps that go over the roof of the home and anchor the home into the ground on either side. This is unusual in our area but may have been code for this home when it was originally installed. I would guess the home to be a 1960?s model.

I don?t believe we would all go to this extreme or choose the same upgrades but here is what this guy did.

The home was the boxy, metal on metal that had deteriorated for decades. It looked more like an old storage unit than a home. He took the walls completely out, one section at a time, replacing any and all bad wood. He then reframed the walls to accept modern stick built housing type windows (much better look and R-value).

He wrapped the exterior of the walls in house wrap, upgraded the insulation with rolled insulation and then added drywall to the interior. For the exterior he chose to use T-111 which I personally do not prefer but I will admit that they color he chose and the way he framed out the windows looked quite good. He gave it almost a nautical look.

Personally, if I was doing all this work I would have vinyl sided the home and be done with it. T-111 holds up for some time but not nearly as long and over time the nicks and dings swell, rot and look terrible in my experience.

He removed an old, decayed bay window in the front of the home and framed in better windows and added more cabinets (this was the kitchen window). He completely replaced all cabinets with oak cabinets and tiled the counter top with the larger floor tiles and made a backsplash out of them, one row high. It looked great.

Laminate floors throughout the house.

He framed in a window a/c unit through the wall and placed it up high and just before you enter the narrow hallway. With the sheetrock drywall, house wrap, new windows and insulation (he also re-insulated the floors) and new windows I was impressed just how cool this whole house was with just one window unit.

He had not completed repairing the roof at that time. I believe I would go with corrugated metal roofing but use the higher quality material that is the kind used for the metal carports and garages.

This owner told me a couple of different figures for what he had in the home so I am not certain exactly but let?s say he put $8,000 into it. That was one of his numbers but I am not sure what all he was including.

You can do a lot to a mobile home with $8,000. I will say that at that price it was worth not having to demo this home, buy another, get all the permits and inspections and move another home in, set it up and repair it. You would likely be into another home for that much or more and still not have as nice a home or as well insulated.

I don?t expect to do this for every home but for the homes that are hard to replace such as homes on small lots, this is the time of makeover I would like to work towards.

Tony

2 major problems! - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on September 13, 2011 at 11:24:27:

The first big problem with a refurb like this is “side sag” due to the added weight of the wall structure.
In a couple of years the front door will drag on the floor or not open fully at all. This is especially true in homes with floor joists that run lengthwise.
I would use vinyl covered luan inside and vinyl siding over the tin.
The next problem is in my state unless you are a “certified MH mechanic” you cannot remove even interior wall paneling because even though it is not a bearing wall.
The “powers that be” consider a MH to be an integrated engineered structure.
But I have seen some of the worst hack jobs done by a company that owns dozens of parks and employs certified mechanics.

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on September 06, 2011 at 15:12:07:

Anything can be remodeled into something else. The question is: Is it worth it. As I posted on another forum, it is becoming less and less worthwhile for a Lonnie Dealer to do this as the sales prices and monthly repayments do not warrant it. However, for the mobile home park owner, rehabbing old homes IS the long-term future.

Steve

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Mike Scarbrough

Posted by Mike Scarbrough on September 06, 2011 at 10:04:47:

I agree with Tony. I know people have been worried about new homes not being built and existing homes getting older. I believe this is worth concern and has macro implications.

However, I also believe that an investor with imagination and a willingness to rehab will not have trouble finding homes, because most homes (excluding those with major water damage) can often be rehabbed for a reasonable price. The main consideration for if a home should be rehabbed really isn’t age, but floor plan and sq. footage, as more and more people want 3/2’s and less and less demand for 2/1 and 1/1’s.

Looking past what a home looks like and instead imagining what a home “could” look like will become key.

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day!

-Mike

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 06, 2011 at 09:33:08:

I’m curious to find out if he kept the 2x3 framing in the walls, or if he increased the wall thickness with 2x4 or 2x6 framing.

I have done all of this, a little here a little there, but not all on one unit yet. BUT I have not done the reframing to a thicker wall. In my mind, there are floor and ceiling reconstruction (or coverup) issues.

What did he do?

Re: 2 major problems! - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 14, 2011 at 09:06:41:

The amount of added weight is something that concerned me as well. In many of the mobile home repair materials you read or hear that mentioned. Sometimes I think the people go a bit over board in their concerns but with something like this I could see the justification for the concern.

In this particular home, like many of the old homes, the thin wall studs have rotted out so replacing them is a must do and not easily done from just the inside if there are many to do. At some point you might just have to do what you have to do and then worry about the sag later. If that is likely than this particular home may have only had its life expectancy extended a few more years or so.

That home was a 1960’s model if I recall. But in other homes like the 1980’s and up I have not found the wall studd rott to be so significant. Probably just didn’t have unrepaired leaking as long I guess. In this situations we have taken down the interior and sometimes a small section of the exterior to replace and reframe a section of wall and then re-applied the exterior materials and siding. No real weight was added.

I like the vinyl siding as this addes very little weight and it is spread out along the trailer. Better protection from the elements will help extend the life of the home and hopefully new insulation will help with the heating and cooling bills to make the home more competetive in the market.

There is a line between durable and too heavy that we should consider. I would also put that in perspective with the age of the home and what you are trying to get out of it.

I do not know if the guy that did that old home added any supports under the home but I suppose one could consider this to help add life to the home and help fight the side sag.

I am glad you pointed out the sag issue Don.

Tony

Posted by Tony Colella on September 13, 2011 at 17:30:00:

What does it take to be granted the title of “mobile home mechanic” and is it worth your consideration?

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 06, 2011 at 15:13:49:

On this MH Makeover topic:
Have any of you ever considered making cabinets? You know the MH’s had the cabs built in place at the plants …the reason that the kitchen corners aren’t square is that it isn’t important when you build cabinets/c-tops to fit. the paper wrapped mdf and luan is available…

Also, a few years back I heard Pete Youngs speak about refurbishing, he was a huge proponent of resurfacing cabinets, tops, tubs, etc. He had lists of many paint like products, I have used the tub resurface stuff with great results…After many refurb jobs, I believe that repairing and resurfacing existing cabs, and fixtures is the way to go whenever possible.

I’ll also add that I have added 29 gauge painted metal roof overs - first adding blown fiberglass insulation in ceiling- then a 1’ overhang of roofing metal; so as to keep water off the side of house.

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 06, 2011 at 10:14:42:

In addition he took a home with a so-so floor plan and by reworking the closet and hot water heater area he expanded the 2nd bedroom which was almost unusable and created a reasonable sized second bedroom.

He also removed and rebuild a closet and the larger bedroom so that it gave the room a more modern look and usability.

Tony

Posted by Tony Colella on September 06, 2011 at 10:12:09:

He reframed with new 2x3’s.

He also redid the entire bathroom tub walls, floors in tile.

Tony

Re: 2 major problems! - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on September 14, 2011 at 07:02:50:

Well…I am looking into that right now.
It is just a one day class, with a healthy fee of course. You are suppose to be working for a MH business for 1 year before they will grant you a License.
But I think I can get one because “the company” owns MH parks.
We belong to the State assoc. and they hold classes in Cuse, every couple months
They have like 4 licenses Mechanic, Transporter/Installer, sale lot, manufacturer.

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on September 08, 2011 at 16:15:17:

When the fiberboard cabinets are too far gone I build my kitchen cabinets from 3/4" subfloor plywood. The “face frames” are all cut out of one rip of plywood 30" wide by 8’ long (or shorter if there isn’t an 8’ run of cabinets. I cut all the drawer and door holes out of the single sheet. It fastenens onto a 4" tall platform on the floor with a 3" overhang (base cabinets) or 2-12" rips of plywood, one screwed to the ceiling one fastened to the wall with a cleat 30" from ceiling for the wall cabinets. The doors are plywood with a routed edge. Countertops are the same plywood painted white with trim paint then covered with 1/8" clear marine epoxy. Total material cost is less than $200.

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by shawn sisco

Posted by shawn sisco on September 06, 2011 at 17:44:44:

Old gold colored dining light fixtures, ceiling fans,
knobs, doorpulls,hinges can be upgraded by spraying with
some of the pewter/copper spray paints.

Posted by Tony Colella on September 06, 2011 at 17:34:54:

My next planned phase of landlord friendly repairs is to be cabinets and counter tops. I plan on building on site to fit.

I too have refurbed tubs using Scarbrough’s advice from his video and it worked like a charm.

Note to self… Well vented does not mean a mobile home bathroom with an open door.

I still have feel dizzy from the fumes of that stuff!

Tony

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Mike Scarbrough

Posted by Mike Scarbrough on September 06, 2011 at 15:57:33:

I’ve seen one of Shawn’s roof overs at his community during one of the MOM’s and it looks GREAT. I still have a picture of it on my phone.

Re: Mobile Home Makeover - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 06, 2011 at 10:19:50:

thats the beauty - aren’t the only load-bearing walls in a MH the outside walls? You could, in theory, clear out all interior walls, and reconfigure what you want?

Posted by Tony Colella on September 14, 2011 at 08:51:51:

Interesting. It would seem to be the way to go for you. Not that you would be doing much commercial type work for others but at least you would be getting your money back on your own properties and no one would have reason to complain about the lack of licensing.

The worse regulations get the harder we have to seek to find opportunity. I have also learned that sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay their fees so that you can get back to business.

Hopefully the Cuse trip will not be in the dead of winter! That might be a deal breaker!

Tony

Posted by Tony Colella on September 08, 2011 at 19:16:11:

Are the plywood doors having any warping issues? And by and chance would you have picture or two of the cabinets.

These are the next phase of projects for me on a number of my homes and I could really use some ideas.

Many thanks Clinton.

Tony

Posted by Tony Colella on September 06, 2011 at 11:07:40:

In singlewides, as far as I know you are correct.

Obviously in Doublewides the interior walls would be load bearing since they are in essence the walls of 2 singlewides meeting in the middle of the home.

For the most part I have not seen any drastic remodels such as a complete gutting but I have seen a couple of walls bumped out into the living room say by a foot or 2.

Mostly what I see is the reworking of a bedroom or bathroom by bumping it into existing space such as a closet, utility or adjoining room (usually a bed and bath that combined have a better floor plan than the existing plan).

Tony