MLS/Comps Access for Non Agents - Posted by Scott-CA

Posted by Quinsee on January 24, 2005 at 18:24:27:

Appraisers have access to MLS listings also. I think inspectors to too. Not sure about escrow and title companies.

Several investors have gotten their realtor licenses for just this purpose. And, acting as your own broker/agent, you get 50%+ of the commissions which can technically keep money in your pocket. This can also be used as leverage if you decide to not partake of commissions in exchange for other terms. Ethics apply, of course.

MLS/Comps Access for Non Agents - Posted by Scott-CA

Posted by Scott-CA on January 24, 2005 at 17:19:56:

What options do I have for getting comps and MLS access in CA if I’m not an RE Agent? I have tried calling around for an “Associate” membership, but so far no luck. I am primarily interested in being able to look at comps, title information and expired listings. Is DataQuick my only option for comps? Do escrows companies, etc. have full MLS access? How are other private investors getting this information? All input appreciated! Scott

Re: MLS/Comps Access for Non Agents - Posted by Brian Van Way

Posted by Brian Van Way on January 25, 2005 at 12:23:10:

Excellent Question - I would love to hear answers.

Here are two ways that I “estimate” comps.

1. Homegain.com allows you to put your address in and get your home value. Beware, they round sq ft, and some of their numbers are inaccurate.

2. Generally off the county tax or assessor records, they have a link to “neighborhood sales information”. Although often years old, it can give a good estimate of what homes were selling 1, 2, 3 years ago. I then adjust for what I know about a neighborhood’s appreciation, and come up with a pretty good figure. Then, of course, as my realtor is writing the contract for the property, I have him pull the 6 month comps.

Brian